Sunday, June 7, 2009

Life on the Edge

from CJ

So what's a nice girl from small town PA doing talking about Criminal Minds?

I'm CJ Lyons, and I'm used to living life on the edge.

I grew up in rural Pennsylvania, left home at 17 to go to college, put myself through medical school (at one time with three jobs! Highly educational--I can cook ramen noodles and tuna fifty ways from Sunday!) then returned to my favorite city, Pittsburgh, for my pediatric residency.

And that's where things got a little strange....but more on that later, maybe in a few weeks or so, we don't know each other well enough quite yet.

During my years as a pediatric ER doc I've worked in some of the busiest urban trauma centers in the country, worked with police officers and prosecutors on cases involving sexual assault, child abuse, homicide, and even Munchausen by Proxy.

(Don't know what that is? Ask! It's fascinating--and we're here to answer your questions. Just click the email link on the right hand sidebar)



I've faced sociopaths, drug addicts, gangbangers, psychotics, and yes, one serial killer.

I've almost died a few times....hmmm, too much information? No worries, you can ask me later once we get to know each other better. I'll be posting here every Monday.

After seventeen years of practicing medicine, I took a leap of faith and followed my childhood dream of becoming a writer.

As much as I love medicine and miss my patients, following my dream was the best thing I've ever done. I write for the same reason I practiced pediatrics: I hate bullies.

I want to change the world, let everyone know that the courage to stand up and protect the little guys, make a difference, lies within us all.

Yeah, I'm the eternal pragmatic optimist--but heck, when you've seen what I've seen, when you've held a child's hand as their life slips away and there's nothing you can do to stop it, well, I figure you earn the right to try to fight to make things different.

I used to do it one patient at a time. Now I do it one reader at a time.

Thanks for reading!
CJ

About CJ:
As a pediatric ER doctor, CJ Lyons has lived the life she writes about in her cutting edge suspense novels. Her debut, LIFELINES (Berkley, March 2008), became a National Bestseller and Publishers Weekly proclaimed it a "breathtakingly fast-paced medical thriller."

The second in the series, WARNING SIGNS, was released January, 2009 and the third, URGENT CARE, is due out October, 2009. Contact her at http://www.cjlyons.net





No comments: