Sunday, June 7, 2009

Living In A Library


When I was a kid I was surrounded by books. Both my parents were voracious readers with a knack for finding paperback gems amidst the rubble of a garage sale or hidden on a bottom shelf in the back of a used bookstore. They had read all the classics, like most kids going to public school in New York during the thirties and forties, but they loved mysteries, science fiction and adventure stories.

So before I could even read, I fell in love with the idea of thrilling stories, seduced by the cover art on books written by Edgar Rice Burroughs, paintings by guys like Frank Frazetta and J. Allen St. John that captured an amazing sense of adventure. When we moved, the first thing we did was build more bookshelves. Once I started reading, the collection expanded to include comic books, short story adventure magazines, and more and more books.

Today my home still feels like a library, or maybe a used bookstore, since half the books are in piles set carefully in front of other books, adjacent to more stacks of books in need of their own shelf. It's a bit random, but it's also a wonderful environment for writing your own stories.

I grew up believing reading should be fun, so my novels are meant to be unapolegetically entertaining. They deal with some serious subjects, like crime and the human condition, but I think the reader deserves an escape. So if you're not turning the pages fast enough to get blisters, then I haven't done my job.

There's more to read on my site but hopefully in the course of this blog you'll get to know more about all the writers in this virtual panel that Kelli dreamed up...

No comments: