Monday, July 20, 2009

It Matters


From Becky, on the road ...

Sorry for the brevity. Am thumbing this in on my iPhone on my way to my book party at The Web in Manhattan tonight (Monday)at 7:30. It's "check your pants at the bar for a free drink night." Not like a traditional bookstore event, as there will be gratuitous nudity!

I can deal with gratuitous nudity, but not gratuitous violence. If I feel like the people are just fodder for the plot or humor, then I'm done with the book. Death matters. All the time. Fictitious or otherwise.

Thinking otherwise is too dark for me.

Back next week with more to say. Promise.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Sometimes brevity is the key to suspense. Hope that "check your pants at the bar" party worked out well! ;)

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Thanks, Jen! The party went well. Read, fielded interesting questions, got asked to read another section (that never happened in a bookstore), read again, fielded more questions. Lovely group.

My audience all had pants, but once we left the reading room, there was a lot more skin in evidence.

Shane Gericke said...

Make sure to take video. Inquring minds want to know :-)

Bill Cameron said...

As they say on the internets, pics plz

Leslie said...

Is that the difference between East Coast signings and West Coast signings? ;-)

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Hard to believe that I started out in San Francisco, but had to go all the way to New York (via the Sunset Strip in LA) to finally attend Undie Monday, isn't it? Pics are forthcoming, I hope. I had a friend taking pictures, but haven't heard from him since.

It was a quiet crowd until they put the go go boys in their cages...