Friday, August 7, 2009

Ignorance Wears Pajamas (and Snores)


By Shane Gericke
www.shanegericke.com

The older I get, the more ignorant I feel.

Not because I'm less intelligent. Because there is so much cool stuff out there, and unlimited ways to access it. So many things that fascinate me, from Roman road-building to nuclear cold fusion to revamping the tax code to who put the bomp in the bomp-she-bomp-she-bomp. Such effortless ways to find it, between Internet and digital libraries and unlimited long-distance plans. So many absorbing people I want to sit and talk with for hours at a stretch.

But there's not enough hours in the day, or energy in my bones, to seek and absorb it all.

That's the biggest criminal habit I can put on a public forum: that I don't have the burning desire to roll out of bed before dawn and squeeze another five hours into my day. My dad does that--he wakes up naturally at 5 a.m., and can't get back to sleep. He always did, even when I was a kid. I wish I'd inherited that particular gene. Think of the things I could learn, the people I could meet, the additional books and articles I could write . . .

Oh, and I exercise too little and drink coffee too much.

But I'll work on those as soon as I've driven to Starbucks for my fourth cup.

After my nap . . .






6 comments:

Jen said...

Now see, I get up at 5 and think that's the criminal part. Of course I don't get up at 5 naturally...only with the help of an annoying alarm clock. If there's no alarm clock, the dogs get me up between 6 and 6:30.

And I definitely haven't been exercising enough. Trying to get my audio books all geared up so I can motivate myself to walk and read...or bike and read...but sitting on the sofa or the front porch swing with the book is much more appealing to me! :)

Shane Gericke said...

I feel your pain, Jen, on the subject of alarm clocks. I hate them like poison. When I worked as a Johnny Deadline, I had to use them, as my life was ruled by sweeps of the minute hand and getting to work even a half hour late put me waaaaay behind the eight-ball. Now that I write full-time and work for myself, no more alarms! But I sleep late as a result. I love it, but it does cut into productivity.

Hard Boiled Mysti said...

Ain't it the sad sad truth? My brain used to wake up with a snap in the morning, now it's kind of like a soggy bread crust :)

Kelli Stanley said...

Hey, Shane, my Dad's the same way! But my mom and I are night people--so I inherited the "don't like to wake up early" gene.

The funny thing is that when I get up at an ungodly hour--like 4 AM to drive to LA or something--it's a lot of fun! You totally feel like you have a one up. :)

Re: exercise and drinking ... yeah. Haven't figured out how to do aerobics and write at the same time! ;)

xoxo

Shane Gericke said...

It's funny, Kelli. If I get up REALLY early to do something like a driving trip, it's great. I love early morning once I'm up, But for regular day stuff, I look at the clock and go back to sleep, Maybe the trick is to always have something great to look forward to ;-)

Shane Gericke said...

Soggy bread, Mysti? I hear ya! Mine's still crisp when I wake up ... though my knees and feet ache like the devil till I get them all stretched out. I think of it as a consequence of a life well-lived ... but it's probably tendonitis :-)