Monday, October 26, 2009

Death by Kalama

What's the most exotic way you've ever killed off a character?

I've had tons of fun coming up with new and different ways to eliminate characters!

In my first book, LIFELINES, there was nothing too exotic. Just a little cyanide, some homegrown explosives to liven things up.



But, in WARNING SIGNS, I went all out. There was almost a death in a hyperbaric chamber (doing the research for that was fun—not!), a man who jumped from a bridge, a little medical malfeasance, an attack by a graveyard cat, and, most fun of all, an impalement by a 8'6" Kalama surfboard.

URGENT CARE comes out tomorrow. The murder and mayhem in it is a bit less esoteric but the badguys still get what's coming to them.

Here's a sneak preview:



I'm just starting the fourth book in the series, ISOLATION. It's going to take place in a very compressed time frame, think Die Hard in a hospital.

And yes, I’m already coming up with more off the wall ways to kill folks inside a hospital….so, let me know, how would you like to see someone die in the new book?

No guarantees, but I'm always looking for inspiration!


And, for any writers out there, in honor of URGENT CARE's release, I'm hosting a contest.

One lucky winner will have their query package critiqued by my agent, Barbara Poelle of the Irene Goodman Agency.

Check here for more details:
http://cjlyons.net/2009/10/08/cjs-query-contest/

Feel free to spread the word to all your writer friends! And yes, Barbara does like wild and wacky murder methods!

Thanks for reading!
CJ




About CJ:
As a pediatric ER doctor, CJ Lyons has lived the life she writes about in her cutting edge suspense novels. Her debut, LIFELINES (Berkley, March 2008), became a National Bestseller and Publishers Weekly proclaimed it a "breathtakingly fast-paced medical thriller."

The second in the series, WARNING SIGNS, was released January, 2009 and the third, URGENT CARE, is due out October, 2009. Contact her at http://www.cjlyons.net



7 comments:

PK the Bookeemonster said...

Congratulations on the book release tomorrow. I remember when your first book came out; I stopped and chatted with you briefly at LCC Denver then and asked you to sign it as a gift to my RN mother. I imagine the excitement doesn't go away much. :)

CJ Lyons said...

Thanks, PK! Denver seems so long ago, lol! But you're right, the excitement never dies...

♥Jen♥ said...

O.k. CJ, my question is, how many of those m.o.s are ones you actually encountered? Any real experiences or were they all researched? I don't know that I could come up with any exotic way to die, but I can tell you I always thought the worst way for me to die would be to freeze to death. I hate being cold! Ha!

And don't forget that in honor of your release, we're hanging out together at my blog tomorrow. See ya then!

CJ Lyons said...

Hey Jen! I've treated most of these: knife wounds, gunshot wounds, head injuries, blast injuries, poisonings, burns, impalements...but not from a surfboard--I had to find one with polycarbonate fins that would be sharp and strong enough to do the trick, that took research!

And a little help from a few surfing buddies, lol!

See you tomorrow!
CJ

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Congrats, CJ!!! Release day is always wonderful. I hope you are having a wonderful celebration!!!

The surfers I know are always much more worried about taking a board to the jewels than impalement. But I suppose there fates worse than death...

CJ Lyons said...

Thanks,Becky! Actually it's just another day at the office, lol! Not sure if that's good or bad....

Kelli Stanley said...

Congratulations, CJ!! Like PK, I remember LCC Denver and when Lifelines debuted!! Seems like just yesterday. :)

Here's to you, babe!! And I'll never look at a surfboard the same way again ... ;)

xoxo