Monday, November 16, 2009

Get Rich, Get Thin, Get Popular...

If you were to write a non-fiction book, what would your topic be?

I've actually written and contributed to academic nonfiction books and articles. (Anyone with burning questions about intussusception, give me a holler)

Non-fiction is a very different beast than fiction. For starts, you can't...well...lie. Which is what we do in fiction--tell lies, convince our audience that they're real, make up stuff.

Kinda a no-no in non-fiction land. And people expect their truth, in addition to being based on facts, to be logical....not my forte.

Except for one kind of non-fiction. There you can do just about anything and people not only will believe you, they'll pay for the privilege of reading your whimsical, illogical, non-factual, too-good-to-be-true drivel.


I'm talking, of course, of the world of self-help books. The UFO Diet! The Secrets to Instant Wealth via Telepathy. Eat Radishes and Look Like Angelina Jolie in Three Weeks!

Talk about a great gig! Better even than fiction--in my fiction, my editor expects me to get most of the facts right--and so does my audience.

But in the world of instant quick-fixes, anything goes. In fact, the bigger, the bolder, the crazier....the better.

So, who's interested in the No Exercise, Instant Pudding, Get Rich NOW! Plan of the Super Rich, Super Popular, Super Gorgeous Mega Stars? You TOO! can live the life of the rich and famous Hollywood wannabees....Today only, $29.99!!!

Talk about getting paid for lies....

Thanks for reading!
CJ

About CJ:
About CJ:
As a pediatric ER doctor, CJ Lyons has lived the life she writes about in her cutting edge suspense novels. Her debut, LIFELINES (Berkley, March 2008), became a National Bestseller and Publishers Weekly proclaimed it a "breathtakingly fast-paced medical thriller."

The second in the series, WARNING SIGNS, was released January, 2009 and the third, URGENT CARE, October, 2009. Contact her at http://www.cjlyons.net



11 comments:

Michele Emrath said...

Ha! I love the contrast of true fiction and false "truth." The lies we tell ourelves!

Michele
SouthernCityMysteries

CJ Lyons said...

Exactly, Michele!!! It's a strange, strange world we live in, lol!!!

Thanks for stopping by,
CJ

Jen Forbus said...

Kinda like "reality" tv. Not sure whose reality it represents, but hey, it's reality tv!

Me on the other hand, I want to be like Craig McDonald and have a book of interviews! :) I have mucho learning and practicing to do before I'm at THAT level, though.

Hard Boiled Mysti said...

CJ -- You made me smile today, thank you!!!!

Technical writers sometimes write fiction -- though if we're lucky the developers use it as a spec and make it true. Other times, we thought it was true but they changed the software without telling us. I hate to think of all the people I've lied to as a tech writer.

I was going to write a weight-loss self-help book, but it's only one sentence long:

Weight loss is incredibly hard, you have to work at it for your entire life, sometimes it hurts, and it takes a long time to see permanent results.

No one wants to buy that for $29.95 plus the video :)

CJ Lyons said...

Jen, I think you make a great interviewer! And you're building plenty of material on your blog!

CJ Lyons said...

Mysti,
LOL! Everyone wants a quick fix, don't they?

Shane Gericke said...

OK, OK, I wanna be thin! Tell me how to do it, CJ, and none of that diet and exercise crapola. I wanna do it like an American--easy!!!

CJ Lyons said...

Okay, Shane, no diet or exercise involved....yes, folks, all you need is, wait for it....Duct Tape!

I'll let you figure out where to apply it, lol!

Shane Gericke said...

Several places come to mind, none of them printable. Wouldn't lose weight, though ... hmm ...

Sophie Littlefield said...

wow, i show up late and you all have gotten naughty without me! My, my...

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Maybe duct tape IS the new miracle cure....

Thanks for a fun post, CJ!