Friday, November 27, 2009

ONLY ONE AUTHOR I'D GO SEE ...


John Sandford. Great guy. Superb novelist. Blows-out-your-eyeballs protags in Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers. Fellow ex-newspaperman, won the Pulitzer even though I ... didn't. Yep, I'd fly anywhere, anytime, to see John at a conference.

But that's it. Just John.

And, Jodi Picault. Maybe her. All right, yes, definitely her. Tremendous stories about seriously messed-up families, which isn't normally my cup of tea, as I prefer thrillers, but the writing's so damn compelling I can't help but read.

But that's it. Nobody else ...

Except Tom Wolfe. Dennis Lehane. Robert B. Parker.

And that really is it.

Cause hell, I've met all the rest at a conference ...


5 comments:

Shane Gericke said...

Happy Black Friday, everyone!!!!

Rebecca Cantrell said...

A more appropod question might have been: what author would you go see at a conference...on Black Friday. ;)

love your choices, Shane. Jodi Piccoult I would love to see too! And the others. And...

Jen Forbus said...

Does Robert B. Parker come to any conference anymore? I haven't heard of him attending any lately. I mentioned earlier that I'd love to have the chance to meet James Lee Burke.

But in all honesty, conferences can be on the pricey side, and if I can't afford to go, there isn't anyone who can change that...unless he/she is willing to foot the bill! Ha!

I do openly admit I went to the L.A. Times Book Festival so I could meet Robert Crais. He didn't come anywhere near me in two book tours, so instead of driving 5 1/2 hours to go to Illinois, I flew across the country! Ha! I got to see my sister on that trip as well, though...and Gregg Hurwitz and Chris Grabenstein and Michael Koryta and Craig Johnson and John Lescroart...it was a good decision!

Shane Gericke said...

Thanks, Rebecca. I'd dearly love to meet all these folks, but particularly Sandford and Picault. Finest writers in the world, for sure.

Actually, I had the chance to meet Jodi right here in my hometown of Naperville. She came to the local bookstore, a mile from my house. Sadly, I hadn't read her yet, and didn't know who she was. Yes, I kicked myself later, still got the bruises :-)

As for the other, I'd go see an author at a con on Black Friday only if they offered their new books at 90% discount. Then again, they'd do it only between 2 and 2:15 a.m. in the back of the store ...

Shane Gericke said...

I don't think he does, Jen--haven't seen his name on a conference list in ages.

Hey, you shoulda driven the 5.5 hours to Illinois, we coulda had dinner!