Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving!


By Kelli

"What big name author is enough to get me to a conference?"

Well--to echo my fellow CMs--I don't go to conferences to meet big name authors. I go to meet and visit and talk with everyone I can, from pre-published authors to readers to book dealers to librarians to bloggers to editors to journalists to fans ... because, taken as a whole, this entire community--the whole maryann, as my Dad likes to say--is wonderful, and one of the biggest joys in my life.

That said, some of the greatest names in this business belong to some of the truly nicest people--people who epitomize the supportive spirit and overwhelming generosity that characterizes writers who write about crime. And I'd go out of my way to meet many of them--especially if I could get a chance to thank them personally for the inspiration or support they've given me.

Magical, wonderful things happen at conferences ... lifetime friendships form, relationships blossom, creative energies get refilled. My first Bouchercon--Alaska, 2007--will always be very special to me, and the people I met there share a certain bond. In fact, that conference kicked off CITY OF DRAGONS--I came home and started writing. Just one reason why the book is dedicated to that event and the incredible community it represents.

I try my hardest never to miss Bouchercon, Thrillerfest, Left Coast Crime ... and I hope to add Crimebake and Sleuthfest and Crimefest and Malice Domestic to that list eventually.


So yeah, I love conferences ... because I love the people who go to them. :) And for all of them, I'll be saying a very sincere and deeply felt thank you, as we officially celebrate Thanksgiving.

And thank you, loyal CM readers! We've made it to the six month point with our virtual conference panel, and hope to be bringing you more fun and thought-provoking posts in the next year. :)

Take care, everybody!

2 comments:

R.J. Mangahas said...

I hope you do make it to Crimebake eventually. It would be great to see you there.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

Jen Forbus said...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving with the family, Kel!