Monday, December 28, 2009

The Year of the Book




Meredith Cole directed feature films and wrote screenplays before writing mysteries. She won the St. Martin’s/Malice Domestic Best First Traditional Mystery competition, and her first book, POSED FOR MURDER, was published by St. Martin’s Minotaur in February 2009.

Her next book, DEAD IN THE WATER, will come out in May 2010. She teaches screenwriting and mystery writing, and will start the new year on the MWA Mid-Atlantic board.

2010? Already? The last thing I remember, it was 2009 and I was waiting for my first book, POSED FOR MURDER, to debut. And now I find the year is almost over?

I’m kidding, of course. I remember all the details of my book tour. I met so many wonderful new friends, librarians, booksellers, authors, bloggers and readers (some of them in more than one category) and had a terrific time. And 2010 promises to be just as exciting. My second book, DEAD IN THE WATER, also a Lydia McKenzie mystery, will be coming out in May 2010. I get to do the book tour all over again, but perhaps now I’ll be a little bit wiser and more polished. I hope.

Anyway, when I was invited to guest for Jeannie, I was asked to name my favorite books and movies of 2009. When I drew a total blank, I consulted my list on Goodreads, and it all became to come back to me.

Last year, I blogged at www.thedebutanteball.com, and I was lucky to get to read all my fellow debutante books (which are all wonderful): THE LITTLE GIANT OF ABERDEEN COUNTY, by Tiffany Baker, REAL LIFE AND LIARS, by Kristina Riggle, FIRST COMES LOVE, THEN COMES MALARIA, by Eve Brown-Waite, and BAD GIRLS DON’T DIE, by Katie Alender. I was the only mystery author in the deb class of 2009, and I have to admit that I tried to convert them all to fans of the genre.

Here are just a few of the wonderful books I remember reading (for the first time) and enjoying in 2010: TRIGGER CITY, by Sean Chercover, THE LANGUAGE OF BEES, by Laurie King, THE EIGHT, by Katherine Neville, and THE UNLIKELY SPY by Daniel Silva. I know there were more, but I don’t remember when I read them exactly. Every mystery convention I go to, I’m introduced to new writers and my TBR pile gets larger and larger. Bliss.

And movies? I saw quite a few kid movies with my son this year, but the one adult movie I insisted on seeing in the theater was JULIE AND JULIA. Not much of a mystery, but Meryl Streep was wonderful and I loved all the food.

So my goal for 2010 is to see more movies, read lots of books (and write down the titles), and write my third Lydia McKenzie book. And hopefully 2011 will take its own sweet time in getting here so I can get it all done.

Happy New Year everyone!

12 comments:

Jen Forbus said...

I was just thinking about movies this morning, too, Meredith. I have to go back and see what was released in 2009 because the only thing I can remember is the last movie I saw, BLIND SIDE. I know I didn't go as often as I have in the past, and my movie watching at home decreased quite a bit, too, but mostly because I was reading so much. That made picking my favorite books very difficult!

Here's hoping 2010 is very, very good to you! Happy New Year!

Meredith Cole said...

Thanks for dropping by Jen! I read more than I go to the movies, too--but I clearly have to keep better lists of everything. I hope your 2010 is wonderful, too.

Alan Orloff said...

Thanks for the tips, Meredith. I really need to pick up TRIGGER CITY--I've heard a ton of great things about it. Here's one good book I read in 2009: POSED FOR MURDER. Thanks for the good read!

(BTW, I'm still trying to figure out what happened to 2008!)

Rebecca Cantrell said...

I only vaguely remember 2009 myself. I know I had a book come out and I toured and lots of other stuff happened, but it's a blur.

I did love JULIE AND JULIA. I saw it with my husband who kept nodding knowingly every time she did some neurotic writer thing. No idea what THAT was about. :)

I read lots of good books too. On your list I read and liked TRIGGER CITY. I've been placed next to Sean Chercover at a couple of readings now (CA, CH), so I thought I'd better read at least one of his books so we'd have somethign to talk about and I'm glad I did.

Thanks for guesting for Jeannie! Hope to see more of you!

Meredith Cole said...

Thanks for the welcome, Rebecca. And thanks for dropping by, Alan. I'm so glad you liked POSED FOR MURDER! I'm glad I'm not alone in only vaguely recalling the events of 2009...

Kelli Stanley said...

Welcome aboard, Meredith--it's great to have you at Criminal Minds! :)

The year is very blurry for me, too--I vaguely remember seeing Hawaii for the first time at LCC--then New York in July for Thrillerfest. The Indianapolis Bouchercon is much clearer. :) 2009 seems to have gone by in one of those sped-up photo montages in the movies. :)

Here's to a new 2010 that I hope will bring prosperity to all! Thanks again for guesting! :)

Joshua Corin said...

I love Goodreads. Without it, I would have no idea what I've read.

And I totally am with you about conventions and new titles. We meet all of these wonderful people and of course we want to read their novels. I am not complaining...but my bookshelves are...

Shane Gericke said...

Trigger City is a fine novel, and you'll like it a lot. And Sean is a waycool guy, and I love to support authors I like!

Thanks for joining us today, Meredith. Naturally, now we'll all expect you to direct our movies :-)

Meredith Cole said...

Thanks Shane, Joshua and Kelli. I hope you all have a wonderful new year (and our TBR stack continues to grow).

Rosemary Harris said...

Hi Meredith,
This year has been a blur (much like the previous year) but I know you were there for a lot of the fun bits like Charlottesville and Decatur! I don't know how many of the books I read this year actually came out in 2009 but I was introduced to some new (to me) writers, CJ Box, Laura Joh Rowland, Cynthia Riggs and Jane Haddam to name just a few. All thumbs up.
Movies, just saw Sherlock Holmes...no hardship looking at Robert Downey and Jude Law but I thought the screenplay needed help. They should have called you!
Happy New Year..we miss you in NYC!

Kathleen A. Ryan said...

A lovely post, Meredith! Best wishes to you in 2010, very exciting about the release of DEAD IN THE WATER. Congratulations! It seems like yesterday when I attended your marvelous book launch.
I saw TONS of movies this year (just saw AVATAR today), many with the kids, too. I'm looking forward to a matinee (Sherlock Holmes, probably) when the kids return to school next week.
It sounds like life is wonderful in your new home. We miss you in NY. All the very best!

Sean Chercover said...

Thanks for the shout-out, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed the book, and the support is much appreciated.