Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Favorite Childhood TV Show

As a kid I spent "way" too much time in front of the TV - yes at one point I had the whole ABC, NBC, CBS schedule memorized (We didn't have cable - funny thing is I spend $100 a month on a satellite dish now and I still mostly watch the networks - but I digress.)

I guess the answer really depends on what part of childhood. When I was really young it was anything to do with adventure and Sci-Fi. Star Wars was a revelation to me, so when Battlestar Galactica hit ABC - I was all over it. Of course even then I thought it was cheesy that they kept showing the same cut of the Cylon ship getting blasted by the Viper every time they shot one of those metallic bastards down. (Did they really think we weren't going to notice.)

I'm also down with what Josh said earlier - loved all the action adventure shows, the A-Team, the Fall Guy, (my plan was to someday marry Heather Thomas, which reminds me, what happened to my poster?) I will even admit to thinking the Dukes of Hazard was cool - I wanted a car like the General Lee, welded shut doors and all. Then of course there was Dallas, which I loved because I wanted to be JR, but I realized deep inside I'm a lot more like Bobby a good hearted sap, but it was okay because he had Victoria Principle as his wife. Hey I'm seeing a pattern here - high school kid with no dates in love with beautiful TV women.

Later though, I needed something cooler. Really thought Miami Vice was awesome. Don Johnson and PMT, the music, the Ferrari, Edward James Olmos as Lt. Castillo (who later showed up on the awesome new version of Battlestar Galactica). It was so cool - at least it was at the time - the thing is I've seen some episodes recently on NetFlix - the good ones are still pretty deep, but the bad ones - what the hell - this is not how I remembered it. Some of the dialogue makes me cringe, the clothes and the hair - how did we think this was cool? I can only chalk it up to 80's syndrome, world in some kind of bizarre flux, which can be verified by my own hair and clothes including many photo's of me walking around with my collar up and spiked hair - or worse yet the "mullet". thank goodness this was pre-JPEG era or you guys would force me to post a picture.

But in the end there can be only one - and my favorite TV show of all time - I haven't even seen a repeat since I was like seven years ole - The Six Million Dollar Man. What's not to like, Astronaut, pilot, all around stud super hero in a track - suit. The cool bionic sound when he jumped and crushed things and of course the most awesome theme song of all time.

Steve Austin, a man barely alive. We can rebuild him. We have the technology...

Ahh, memories.

8 comments:

Jen Forbus said...

The SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN was a great show, Graham! I do think, though, that if you did watch a repeat, you'd probably be having those "what the hell" thoughts, too. I love MOONLIGHTING, but as I watch it these days on DVD, I chuckle.

And the DUKES OF HAZARD will always be an influence, I think. I was watching an episode of Burn Notice and Michael ran and jumped in the window of the car just like the Duke Boys used to do. Too funny.

Like you, I didn't have cable growing up and had the local channel line-ups memorized. I could tell you what was on any night of the week, any channel. Ironically, almost 2 years ago now, my TV went hinky on me. The only thing it will do right now is play through my DVD player. So I watch very little TV, and still it seems I don't have enough hours in the day...how is that?

sophie Littlefield said...

Graham, I'm gonna ask your mom for a mullet picture to scan. I can *sooo* see it, bet you rocked the turn-up-collar!!

Six Million Dollar Man's slo-mo action noise is possibly the most memorable sound on TV. I sometimes hear it when I am reaching for a beer or trying to hit my kids with spatulas for forgetting to take their plates to the sink.

Shane Gericke said...

No, no, not the mullet again ... agggghhhhh!

Shane Gericke said...

I looooved Miami Vice, and the music was the best part. Great post, Graham.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

I can't believe you just told Kelli you have a mullet, Graham. Your only hope is that she's too busy with her book release to hound you relentlessly for a picture. And, frankly, I think that's a long shot.

I hum the Bionic man theme song to my husband whenever he's doing something crazy. I only got to watch a few episodes though (no TV). I did get to watch "The Fall Guy" in German in the mid 80s though. The guy who did Lee Majors's voice totally cracked me up every time he talked, which did not make me the most popular gal in the living room.

I did not have a mullet, but I had super short moussed 80s European hair and my collars were firml turned up, just like my jacket sleeves were rolled up.

Thanks for the reminders, Graham!

Kelli Stanley said...

OK, so let's get one thing straight: mullets only got a bad rap when they trickled down to red-neck and stopped being new wave. Remember how cool and on the edge new wave was? Remember Blondie and The Clash and Berlin and all the awesome girl groups like The Waitresses and weird groups like The Flying Lizards?

So let's rehabilitate the mullet, guys!! They were cool when Duran Duran and A-Ha were new and new wavey.

And btw-- upturned collars were a welcome relief after all the big hair, 'staches and bell-bottoms of the '70s.

OK--did I convince you to post the picture yet, Graham?? ;)

I'm NEVER too busy to coerce an 80s pic! ;)

xoxo

Rebecca Cantrell said...

I knew you wouldn't let me down, Kelli! I bet you have a google alert on mullet. :)

Kelli Stanley said...

Never, Becks--I got a rep to protect! ;)

xoxo