Monday, March 22, 2010

I love my iphone far too much


Technology:

is it making your writing easier or standing in the way of your creative side?


By Rebecca Cantrell

A few years ago I got an iphone. My friends without smart phones mock me for my addiction. I use the calendar, check my email, find out where I am when I’m on tour, find restaurants that deliver in strange cities, and take pictures. Heck, I even use it to make and receive phone calls!


I love my iphone so much, I wrote a novel on it. Well, I didn’t actually thumb it in but...OK, here’s where I fess up. I’m writing another series as Bekka Black. The first one is called iDrakula and it’s a cell phone novel. It’s a retelling of Bram Stoker’s Dracula using only text messages, emails, web searches, and a 3-5 cell phone movie. It’ll be delivered on multiple platforms, but I’m not allowed to say which ones yet. Without technology, it would be unthinkable.



For the Hannah Vogel books I use the Internet to find pictures. There are so many amazing black and white photos of Germany in the 1930s. And with my computer (and sometimes just my trusty iphone) I can tap into all of it. My next novel, A Night of Long Knives, opens with a zeppelin jacking. Someone posted pictures of them as a baby on the Graf Zeppelin. They had pictures of their cabin, the control room, the gondola, everything. It was a fantastic resource.





Of course it all takes up waaaay to much time. Or, maybe it doesn’t. Maybe that down time I spend screwing around on the internet is really a way for me to recharge my creative batteries…does anybody buy that?

17 comments:

Joshua Corin said...

Fortunately, creative batteries hold a longer charge than an iPhone's battery.

Unfortunately, creative batteries don't have as many apps.

I love my Droid (on a strictly Platonic basis - all rumors to the contrary are false), but as soon as the iPhone moves to Verizon, I'm so going to make the switch.

Sophie Littlefield said...

you YA is going to be *amazing* and I *love* the premise!!

yeah....i love my iphone too. now i actually take my phone with me instead of leaving it in the car with no charge.

Jeannie Holmes said...

I would be totally lost without my iPhone. (Yes, it's shiny.) I use it for everything when I travel and almost everything when I'm home. In fact, I'm posting this response from my iPhone.

And I love the concept behind iDrak, Beckers! I can't wait to see it. :-)

Mike Dennis said...

I would reply to this if I weren't busy downloading new apps.

Shane Gericke said...

Rebecca, is that a new author photo at the top of your blog? Hot!

I gotta get me an iPhone. Everyone I know who has one, loves it. A friend of mine uses Droid too, Joshua, likes it a bunch, says it's just as good as the iPhone. So looks like there's plenty to choose from.

I just hate the pay the monthly tariff for all that wonderful access cause I'm not sure I'd use it enough to justify ... what is it, 50 to 80 dollars a months for the phone + data package for an iPhone?

Shane Gericke said...

Whhoops, let's try that last paragraph again, but without all the typos:

"I hate to pay the monthly tariff for all that wonderful access 'cause I'm not sure I'd use it enough to justify ... what is it, 50 to 80 dollars a month for the phone/data package for an iPhone?"

Rebecca Cantrell said...

The batteries are the worst part! When I was in New York last week I chose all my tables based on their proximity to an outlet so I could charge the darn thing. After all, I needed a charge at the end of the day to call home and get a ride from the station...

Poor little Droid, platonically dumped.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Thanks, Sophie! Now, tell me about YOUR YA. I'm expecting great things, you know.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

It IS shiny, isn't it, Jeannie? But I covered up the shiny with a soft rubber cover that takes a few drops. The old one was too slick and I kept dropping it on the floor. It died when a bit of the Chesapeake Bay got on it and I was quite forlorn till I got a new one.

I am this close to naming it....

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Mike: I assume you have the light saber one, right?

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Hey Shane!

That's the author photo for me as Bekka Black. Ironically, she wears red, not black like Rebecca Cantrell. She is also sassier and less likely to put up with bullsh*t. (I know, Kelli, it's hard to believe there IS another setting).

Terry Stonecrop said...

Screwing around on the internet is a re-charge, for sure. I buy it but probably because it's the same excuse I give myself.

I like your story. You could have fun with that.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Thanks, Terry! Let's both share that excuse.

IDRAKULA was loads of fun to write. The sequel, IFRANKENSTEIN, has been fun too. It's thinking in a new way, which I absolutely love.

Kelli Stanley said...

Becks, that setting must ONLY be available through Apple ... and it must be one damn expensive app. ;)

OK, OK, I'm getting an iPhone, I've succumbed, mainly because I had to use Becky's to navigate around LA while she drove, and I love the little blue dot.

Follow ... little ... blue ... dot ... this must be how Jobs gets so many groupies. ;)

xoxo

P.S. Bekka is just as great a writer as Becky, if a trifle more hot-tempered. ;)

Rebecca Cantrell said...

The Blue Dot is awesome! But you should know in SF it's sometimes a few blocks off from your actual location (works in HI, NYC, and LA perfectly though). Not sure why that is, but be aware.

I don't know if even Apple could find that setting for me. But you're right, if so, it would be prohibitively expensive. :)

Gabi said...

I can't wait for iDracula. I need the app! And a 12 step iPhone group.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Thanks, Gabi!

I don't want to recover from my iphone addiction. It's not a problem. Not at all. No way. (ah, I love the sound of denial!)