Monday, March 1, 2010

It's Only Rock 'n Roll

Does music influence your work?

Hell Yeah, music is my Tonic, keeps my SlipKnot tied, is my Creed, more valuable than Metallica or a Led Zeppelin, my Default when the words Godsmack me or leave me wandering like a Rolling Stone in a Puddle of Mud….

Okay, okay, enough….needless to say, music not only influences my work, it inspires it. I have pretty eclectic tastes, ranging from Celtic Ceili music to kick-ass, head banging rock n roll.

But, it's not about what I'm in the mood to listen to. The music I write to on any given day depends which character's point of view I'm in.

For my Berkley series, I wrote four main character point of views. Lydia, the street-wise ER doc, has musical tastes that mirror my own. Gina, the resident with a chip on her shoulder, classic rock. Nora, the ER charge nurse, instrumentals, Irish folk music. And Amanda, the Southern med student, for her it was southern rock (she actually likes country-western best, but that's the one musical genre I have a hard time writing to, the lyrics distract me).

Thank goodness for Pandora, Musicovery, and The Radio.com—each of these free web sites will tailor music to my mood, choice of genre, artist, or song. A full playlist, custom tailored to me and my writing needs at the touch of a few keys.

You gotta give whoever came up with that idea a Whole Lotta Love, right?

Thanks for reading!
CJ
PS: Watch for our Michael's Bad Kitty Lounge out in stores tomorrow!

About CJ:
As a pediatric ER doctor, CJ Lyons has lived the life she writes about in her cutting edge suspense novels. Her debut, LIFELINES (Berkley, March 2008), became a National Bestseller and Publishers Weekly proclaimed it a "breathtakingly fast-paced medical thriller."

The second in the series, WARNING SIGNS, was released January, 2009 and the third, URGENT CARE, October, 2009. Her newest project is as co-author of the first in a new suspense series with Erin Brockovich. To learn more about CJ and her work, go to http://www.cjlyons.net



11 comments:

Sophie Littlefield said...

I mis-read the start of your post and thought you were referring to the band "Puddle Of Mud," which I actually have pandora'ed. totally raunchy and great for first-draft writing, IMHO

CJ Lyons said...

I was, Sophie! Referring to alot of those kind of bands, lol!

Guess it didn't come thru right, oh well...

Joshua Corin said...

I love that you've assigned each of your leads a different kind of music. I think that's a great way to get a flavor of them as a person and to maintain the flavor consistently.

Shane Gericke said...

Great post, CJ. Did you find while writing the series that your characters' musical tastes changed, or did they stay consistent?

CJ Lyons said...

Thanks, Josh--it was great fun and helped to keep me sane, writing four main characters and their stories in each novel!

CJ Lyons said...

Shane, they stayed consistent throughout, although I think I may have finally convinced Amanda that rock n roll is as much fun as country and western, lol!

Terry said...

This was fun. I listen to lots of early Beatles music and Motown for my WIP.

Since my WIP takes place in a certain time frame, it gets me,"in the mood."

I like your eclectic mix.

susan said...

Love your books CJ, don't stop writing them. susan L.

CJ Lyons said...

Thanks, Terry!
CJ, currently listening to 37 Stitches...sounds like a title for one of my books, lol!

CJ Lyons said...

Thanks, Susan!!! I just turned in the ms for the finale of my Berkley series and am hard at work on my new series, yeah!

Kelli Stanley said...

Great post as always, CJ--love the eclecticism of your mixes!

And GO MICHAEL!! I hope Bad Kitty Lounge has 'em waiting at the door!! :)