Monday, March 8, 2010

The Tick

by Rebecca Cantrell



My favorite superhero?


The Tick.

Du-dwee-du-du-du-dwee-dou. The theme song still plays in my head.Hands down. For those of you who aren’t familiar with him, The Tick was a cartoon that ran on Saturday mornings on Fox in the 90s. Even though I was a grownup by then (I owned my own car, house, and cat), I still got up at the ungodly hour of nine (or maybe it was ten) to watch it. Later, I would have a child and never sleep in past seven for ten years and counting. But back then getting up at nine (or ten) on a weekend was a big deal.

The Tick is nigh invulnerable. He wears a giant blue suit with antenna on his head that cannot be chainsawed off. And his sidekick is a former accountant named Arthur who found a supersuit at a garage sale and flies around like a moth (but everyone calls him a bunny). Arthur worries about their damage deposit when the Molemen tunnel in through the basement and trash the apartment. He does complex math problems in his head. And he does his own taxes.

Together they battle evildoers. Nobody is ever killed, although Thrackazog does get sent back to Dimension X via a process that sounds fairly unpleasant. But that’s what you get if you try to conquer earth by cloning The Tick from his mucus.

Why do I love The Tick? Because he’s gentle. Nobody is killed or even hurt. The Tick protects puppies (OK, it was a capybara, but how was he to know?), babies (OK, it was the evil Mr. Mental), and citizens everywhere. Why else? Because he’s funny. Where else can you get a line like this one from The Terror to his son (who is doing evil deeds just to spend time with his father): “You want to impress me? Do something bad. Not badly.”

I just don’t think we hear enough adverb jokes in superhero shows…

Hope to see you all at Left Coast Crime!

16 comments:

Joshua Corin said...

SPOON!

Jeannie Holmes said...

It's starting to smell a little like danger in here, or heavily-fried food.

SPOON!!!!

Rebecca Cantrell said...

If you guys take spoon, that leaves me with Arthur's battle cry: "Not in the face! Not in the face!"

Good to know I am with fellow The Tick aficianados!

Sophie Littlefield said...

How did i miss the Tick?

Do you love the superheroes on Spongebob too? The guys in the retirement home? Ah, they are terrific...

Jeannie Holmes said...

Sophie -- You're talking about Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. They crack me up. "Eeee-vil!"

Rebecca Cantrell said...

I've never had time to get into SpongeBob, sadly! One of these days...

Terry said...

Who could not love The Tick. Great show. I have some on DVD's, I still pull out and watch.

Shane Gericke said...

Woo-hoo! I'd never heard of The Tick till your blog, Rebecca, and now I've got to find it on YouTube.

Barnacle Boy and Mermaid Man are voiced by Tim Conway and Ernest Borgnine ("McHale!...), I believe, but I don't remember which is which. I still watch SpongeBob when I can. Cracks me up laughing. Mr. Crabs is voiced by actor Clancy Brown, who I first saw on one of the most violent (though the violence was aimed at giant killer mechanical bugs)but terrific movies ever made, Starship Troopers, which was made from the book by Robert Heinlein, so it all comes full circle to crime books ...

Rebecca Cantrell said...

I agree, Terry!

Thanks, Shane, for raising the tone...to giant killer metal bugs.

It all comes back around, doesn't it?

Shane Gericke said...

It's cause I'm, you know, sophisticated ...

Rebecca Cantrell said...

We are lucky to have such a man about town on the blog, Shane!

Hard Boiled Mysti said...

Shane,

Clancy Brown was in Buckaroo Banzai, the sole voice of reason in the group -- and of course Highlander. I always wondered why he didn't do more, but the Tick is high quality!

Thanks Beck for the memory! they sell tick at comic-con to this day...

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Hi Mysti! Can't wait to see you in a couple of days!

I'm not surprised they still sell The Tick. He's awesome.

When I was at the Tor office, one of the editors had a can of Honesty cola on her bookshelf. Very cool.

Jeannie Holmes said...

Shane -- Barnacle Boy is Tim Conway and Mermaid Man is Ernest Borgnine. :-)

Jen Forbus said...

I missed The Tick, too...maybe I wasn't getting up early enough to see it? It sure does sound like one I would appreciate, though.

Have fun at LCC, Rebecca!

Sparkles said...

Oh I am sooo late in finding this but it's wonderful to find another fan of The Tick...I was in my residency when this was on air and on the rare Saturdays I wasn't in the hospital, I would be up for my favorite toons - X-Men, The Tick and Life with Louie. LOVE The Tick...a boyfriend even had a Pez dispenser made in his form for me ;o) kept the Pez, ditched the guy ;o) Still hoping one day the author will break through his writer's block and grace us all with another round...in the meantime...just remember... isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.