Monday, May 3, 2010

Because It's Fun!!!

What is the most fun scene you’ve ever written?

Most of my scenes are fun to write for one reason or another. It’s usually because I either like the characters or the action, but there is one scene that stands out in my mind because it combined both of these elements.

The scene is part of a work-in-progress trilogy set in Denver, Colorado. The protagonist, Angel Devon, is a half-human, half-demon hybrid and she’s 100% snarky. (You would be too if you were a half-demon with a name like “Angel” and all of Hell either wanted to use you for their personal gain or just kill you to keep the other side from using you.) The trilogy is written first person POV from Angel’s perspective so it’s a lot of fun to write.

The scene that comes to mind takes place after Angel is captured by some demonic slave traders and is on her way to the auction block. A werewolf, Simon, has been sent by “the good guys” to infiltrate the slave operation and protect Angel until Simon’s boss is able to buy Angel in the auction.

Angel, however, doesn’t trust Simon so they get into a physical fight, and Simon ends up with his hand over Angel’s mouth to keep her quiet while he tries to explain that he’s there to help. Here’s a snippet of the scene, and I think you’ll see why I liked this particular scene so much:

His hand closed over my mouth, and he pulled me closer to him. “Shut. Up. They’ll hear you,” he whispered. “Nod if you understand.”


I nodded as much as his hand over my mouth would allow.


“There’s going to be a serious bidding war for you. Half of Denver’s demons are present and the other half is either submitting bids by phone or through the internet.”


High tech demons. Lovely.


“My boss--”


I arched an eyebrow since I couldn’t talk with his hand still over my mouth.


“My real boss will be bidding via phone. He’s a good guy and doesn’t want you to end up with one of the demons anymore than you do.”


I rolled my eyes. I had serious doubts that anyone could want to see me far away from the Infernal Host more than I already did.


“He’s going to do whatever it takes to get you out of here and somewhere safe. Okay? Nod if you understand.”


The nodding game was getting old, so I bit him.


“Ouch!” He pulled his hand back. “You little--”

And everything goes downhill from that point forward. Suffice it to say Angel is no angel.

Writing almost any scene, whether it involves a snarky half-demon or a kick-butt vampire cop, is fun for the simple fact that I love my job. If I’m not having fun, my readers aren’t having fun, and isn’t that what telling a story is all about?

-- Jeannie


6 comments:

Joshua Corin said...

I assure you, Jeannie, that your passage was absolutely as much fun to read as it was for you to write.

I can't wait to read the whole novel - Angel sounds like she's right up my alley.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Yikes! Don't you just hate it when you're kidnapped by a talkie werewolf? Biting seems like the only rational response.

I think you are right: we need to not lose sight of the fun. This is a really cool, fun job!

Terry Stonecrop said...

That was fun! Spunky half-demon!

Gabi said...

Jeannie,
Joy always bleeds through (interesting and action-inspiring in your trilogy) to the page.

Graham Brown said...

Awsome post Jeannie - can't wait to read it. I'm so glad I got see you "and your posse" at RT. It looked like youguys were having a blast.

My only question is - does everyone else need a vacation to recover from these things or is it just me?

Shane Gericke said...

Oooh! A half-human hell beast. I've GOT to read this book.

And Graham, yeah. Takes me forever to recover from long conventions.