Thursday, June 24, 2010

In Which I Confess to Being Totally Over Vuvuzelas



by Bill

You may have noticed that the question over there to the right features the word vuvuzela. I certainly noticed, and I find myself obsessing about it. Vuvuzela … vuvuzela … vuvuzela.

This is what I now know: on my list of things I never want to hear about again, vuvuzela appears just before Robert Pattinson and right after any family which got on television via the method of the mother treating her uterus like a clown car.

Anyway, back to the question. My team.

CJ spoke eloquently of the most important part of our publishing teams: our readers. My readers are wonderful. They are gracious and generous and in many cases delightfully ornery. I am humbled every time I hear from one, and thrilled when I've succeeded in telling a story which moved or enthralled them. The writing happens because I have stories to tell, but the books happen because someone wants to read them. Readers are the reason.

In addition to my readers, I adore my publisher and editor, live in terror of my agent (not really, I love her too), couldn't have achieved what I have without my beta-readers, couldn't cope with the day-to-day vagaries of my writerly insecurities without my friends, fellow writers, and family. They are all part of my publishing team, as well as folks at the distributors, and the book shops who've sold my books. What would I do without any of them?

Not much, that's what.


One thing which strikes me is that, in a way, I see myself as part of other people's publishing team. As a kid, I got the "Don't brag" lesson pretty thoroughly pounded into me. As an adult, I find myself often unable to toot my own horn (oh, lord, not the vuvuzela again), but I find it easy, and quite enjoyable, tooting other people's horns.

I never thought of myself as a member of someone's publishing team before this question came up—not consciously—but in a way, I am. At my own signings, I find myself recommending other books over my own—shhhh, don't tell the Shark. My love of writing grew first out of a love of reading, and what can be more enjoyable than sharing something you love with others?

Go, Team All of Us!

8 comments:

Terry Stonecrop said...

Nicely put!

I didn't get the vuvuzela thing either. I had to google it. At first pass I thought it had something to do with a female body part.

Bill Cameron said...

Quiet day today, Terry! I have to admit, I got the anatomical implication as well! :)

Terry Stonecrop said...

Phew! I'm glad I'm not the only one, who got the anatomical implication. Her vuvuzela, rocked!;)

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Really, of course, vuvuzelas sound like one gender, but kinda look like the other. Deceptive and noisy. No wonder they're popular!

Great post,Bill! I'm leaving on tour tonight and the best part: meeting readers! I love readers! Oh and bookstore owners and other writers and and and...not airport security.

Shane Gericke said...

"I thought it had something to do with a female body part."

Sigh. If only . . .

I'm back from vacation and see someone rearranged the furniture in the living room. Bill, when did you move to Thursdays? Or were you there and all the mountain air I breathed the past two weeks made me dizzier than usual?

Thanks to effing United, I got home at 6 effing a.m. today after they cancelled our nice afternoon flight home from Vancouver and put us on the effing red-eye. With the guy in front of us who coughed so much he blew his nose and lungs into his blanket--and left it on the seat for the flight attendant--and the effing kid who screamed to peel paint the entire four hours of the flight. I hate United. I hope I wrote my column for tomorrow in advance cause otherwise it's gonna really suck ...

Anyway, just askin' about Bill's new Thursday digs if there are new digs. I gotta go to sleep now ...

Vuvuzela, my friends.

Bill Cameron said...

Vuvuzela, Shane! Rest up! The furniture is in place, at least since you let the riff raff in and I joined the team. I'm alternating with Kelli on Thursdays!

Janet Reid said...

I've found two terrific writers via your team efforts. I'd planned to salute you with a 21 vuvuzala fanfare, but I guess I'll just have to say thanks.

Thanks!

Shane Gericke said...

Ah. Refreshed from lots o' sleep and ready to rejoin humanity. Bill, I think I did know that after all. It was the lack of sleep talking! But, thanks for the vuvuzela. One can never have enough.

It still sounds like a funny name for a female body part ...