What was/is your favorite Saturday morning cartoon?
I can sum up my favorite Saturday morning cartoon in seven words: "I tawt I taw a puddy tat!"
Yes, I loved Looney Tunes as a kid...and still do. Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, Sylvester, Taz, Porky, Witch Hazel, and of course, Tweety were regular visitors to our home on Saturday mornings. I loved them all but my favorite among the favorite was Tweety.
Tweety is just "a sweet little birdie in a gilded cage," happily living out his life as Granny's pet until Sylvester comes along to muck everything up. It's when the "bad puddy tat" arrives that we see Tweety's other side...his Dark Side, if you will.
I think that's why I like Tweety so much. He's complex. Underneath the sweet, adorable exterior is a criminal mastermind. He regularly devises ways to outwit and get rid of Sylvester and shows little, if any, remorse for having done it. Now that I think about it, Tweety exhibits some serious Jekyll and Hyde attributes -- very sociopathic, in fact. For example...
1. He lives of the fruits of another's labors (Granny).
2. He's charming.
3. He has no problem lying to Sylvester when he hands him a stick of dynamite and tells him it's a candle.
4. He shows no remorse, shame, or guilt for hurting Sylvester and is outraged when Sylvester tries to harm him.
5. He feigns innocence for Granny's sake so she will toss Sylvester out of the house, leaving Tweety as the sole object of her attention.
6. He began showing these signs at an early age. From the time Tweety was created, he's been using and abusing his fellow Looney Tunes characters.
7. Doesn't take responsibility for his actions and blames others.
And that's just a brief sketch of one character. The other Looney Tunes are just as bad. Hmm...and these were my favorite cartoons as a kid. In fact, my dad's nickname for me was "Tweety" and I wear a Tweety Bird necklace in honor of him. Wow. I guess it's not so surprising that I write about serial killers, psychopaths, and vampires after all.