Monday, September 13, 2010

HOW WOULD YOU UPDATE YOUR FAVORITE CLASSIC BOOK TO NOW OR IN THE FUTURE?

The more I sat pondering this week’s question, the more convinced I was that I wouldn’t want to update my favorite classic book. Actually, I’d have a hard time pinpointing exactly which classic is my favorite. I’m one of those people whose favorite varies, depending on my mood. I’m a very eclectic person. Some days I’d kill for a rich, moist, sweet devil’s food cake, and other days I want the sharp tang of lemon meringue. Same with books. Am I in a Sound and the Fury mood or a Tale of Two Cities mood? I single those two books out because they are two of the few books I’ve read more than once. There are too many books yet to read for me to reread any, even favorites, most of the time. However, I wouldn’t want to update them, either. I read awhile back that Hollywood is planning a remake of Casablanca. Sacrilege, I say!

However, there are some classic books I’d love to update.
Pride & Prejudice springs to mind, along with Gone With the Wind. Come to think of it, anything written by Jane Austen springs to mind, and had Margaret Mitchell lived to write other books, I’m sure those books would also be on my list. I know that there are many readers who love Regency and/or Antebellum/Civil War set historical novels. I’m not one of them. I chafe at the conventions that relegated women to second-class status. And it's still going on in some cultures, but let’s not get me started on that. This isn’t the forum for it.

Let’s just take a look at
Gone With the Wind -- or Clueless in Georgia, as I would dub the updated version. The first thing I’d do is make Melanie Hamilton the heroine of the story. I’d toss away her rose colored glasses and her goody-two-shoes attitude and have her recognize Scarlett O’Hara for the backstabbing bitch she is. Melanie would also be savvy enough to recognize Ashley Wilkes has a secret hankering for Rhett Butler. She'd arrange for the two of them to run off to a Greek island together. And let’s not forget Mammy. Instead of taking all that crap from Scarlett and the rest of the O’Hara clan, I’d have her pull a “terrible awful.” And if you don’t get that reference, you really do need to read Kathryn Stockett’s The Help.

I suppose it’s a good thing I live in the twenty-first century and not the nineteenth century.

The first book in Lois Winston’s Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries series,
Assault With A Deadly Glue Gun, will be a January 2011 release from Midnight Ink. Meanwhile, Anastasia is blogging at Killer Crafts & Crafty Killers
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com, and you can visit Lois at her newly redesigned website: http://www.loiswinston.com.

2 comments:

Kelli Stanley said...

Funny post, Lois! :) And aren't you tired of all the endless remakes from Hollywood (and Broadway, for that matter)?

Kelli

Lois Winston said...

Absolutely, Kelli! Makes me wonder if there's an ounce of creativity left in Hollywood and on Broadway.