Monday, September 27, 2010

IT’S A BIRD, IT’S A PLANE…


When I was a kid, nearly everyone seemed to be named Kathy or Linda, Robert or Richard. Everyone except me. I was the only Lois I knew and apparently, the only Lois anyone else knew -- except for Lois Lane. Kids being the mean little buggers that they tend to be at times, love to pick on any kid who is different. My name was all I needed to set me apart and have them set their sights on me. I grew up feeling like a huge, flashing neon arrow hung over my head. From as far back as I can remember, I was teased unmercifully. Every day on the way to school, then in the afternoon on the way home, I’d hear the constant taunts of, “Hey Lois! Where’s Superman?”

I wish I knew.

Truth be told, I would have loved Superman to swoop down from the sky and carry me off in his arms. I fantasized about it constantly. The only thing better would have been to have superpowers of my own. I spent many years alternating between wishing I was Supergirl and having the Man of Steel fly to my rescue.

When I was old enough to walk to the corner store by myself, I reinforced those fantasies with monthly issues of Superman and Supergirl comic books. I eventually outgrow my yearning for the guy from Krypton, but I will admit that as an adult, I went to all the Superman movies and watched
Lois and Clark religiously. After all, a girl always remembers her first crush. And I do from time to time still wish I was Supergirl. Life is tough. Having superpowers would certainly help.

Funny, you’d think with a background like that, I’d be writing science fiction or fantasy, not amateur sleuth mysteries.

Anyway, when I saw the topic for this week, I gave it a lot of thought. My husband is a great guy. I’ll admit, I’d probably consider ditching him for one of the heroes I’ve created in my books, but that wouldn’t be playing quite fair. Don’t all authors write heroes that they’d want to fall in love with?

After considering and rejecting various other heroes by other authors, I came to the conclusion that it would take a really super guy to tempt me. A super man. Superman. So there you have it. If you happen to see him flying around Metropolis, let him know I’m interested. Otherwise, I’ll keep the super guy I’ve got.

10 comments:

Gabi said...

Lois and Superman do seem predestined.

Lois Winston said...

Yeah, story of my life, Gabi.

Gabi said...

It's a blessing. Just imagine if your name was Bonnie (like my aunt). Your sole mate would be a guy named Clyde. Even if he wasn't a mass murderer -- Clyde. Really.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Gabi's got a point there. As Becky, I'm always stuck with Tom Sawyer. I think he'd be fun to date for a few months, but the pigtails in inkwells and frogs down your dress would just get old.

Lois Winston said...

LOL! I guess we all have crosses to bear when it comes to names. Given my druthers, I'd much rather be associated with Superman than either Clyde Barrow or Tom Sawyer.

Mike Dennis said...

It could've been worse, Lois. Every girl you knew could've been named Ashley or Madison.

BTW, Lois was the name of my first girlfriend.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Mike, it wasn't our Lois was it?

Because that would make you Superman.

Thought you'd want to know.

Lois Winston said...

Well, there was this kid in first grade named Michael...

Gabi said...

Rebecca,
I can't believe you didn't recognize the frog down the dress was foreplay. Poor Tom.

Kelli Stanley said...

So Lois ... which screen incarnation is your most super of supermen? ;)

And Becky, Gabi's right. A frog down the front is true love ... besides, you could always cheat on Tom and sail down the river with his best friend Huck (oh, wait--that's the noir version ...)

xoxo