Monday, September 6, 2010

Some Random Title by The Three Ninja Peas

Other than my fabulous fellow Criminal Minds, who would I want to co-author a book with and why?

Hmmmm…..that is a tough question. So many great authors come to mind. Charlaine Harris. Kim Harrison. Carolyn Haines. Jonathan Maberry. And then there are the great literary classics to keep in mind for mash-ups – Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, Joseph Conrad, J. R. R. Tolkien. The list goes on and on.

However, if I could choose anyone in the world as my co-author, I would actually chose my friends and critique partners, Michelle Ladner and Alexis Lampley. Haven’t heard of them? I’m not surprised. Michelle and Alexis are both pre-published, but they won’t stay that way. Trust me. You’ll want to remember these names.

Why would I want to write a book with them? Well, for one thing, it wouldn’t be a dull process. Michelle and Alexis both have healthy and wacky senses of humor. They both keep me laughing to the point of tears.

The second reason I’d want to work with them is they are both incredibly talented writers. Michelle writes very vivid and emotionally evocative paranormal romantic suspense. Alexis pens wonderfully detailed and elaborate young adult fantasy. Yes, I write dark urban fantasy/paranormal suspense, but I think our different strengths complement one another. Michelle will plumb the depths of the deepest emotional wells and use the gems she finds to create characters you want to know. Alexis can build worlds so detailed out of grains of sand you would swear you’ve been there on vacation. As for me…I plot, scheme, twist shadows into my personal balloon animals, and make them dance like macabre puppets at a junior prom from Hell. Muwahahahahaaa!

Uh…sorry about that…um…what was I saying? Oh, yes…I remember now.

In addition to being a talented writer, Alexis is also an extremely gifted visual artist. Michelle and I both have backgrounds in art as well. I don’t know if we’d be up to the challenge of a graphic novel, but I believe the three of us could at least incorporate a few illustrations here and there.

Lastly, writing a book with Michelle and Alexis would be a blast. Even if it were never published, the process of creating something with two people I hold dear and dare to call my “besties,” or as we prefer "The Three Ninja Peas."

(And, no, neither of you, if you’re reading this blog, can deny knowing me. I have photographic evidence. See? See!! That's me on the left, Michelle in the middle, and Alexis on the right… This photo was taken at Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale, Mississippi...just in case you two don't remember. We also wrote our names on the wall so you can't deny being there. Hahahaha!)

As a final note, I’m linking to Alexis’s website, which she designed herself I might add, and would link to Michelle’s, but it’s not finished. However, as soon as it is, I’ll sneak it into a later post. Like I said, you’ll want to remember their names – you’ll see them both on the shelves in the future.


- Jeannie

9 comments:

Skitty said...

Aw, what a nice tribute to your peas Jeannie!! It warmed my heart. Can't wait to read Alexis and Michelle because if you say they're good, I know they're good!

Jeannie Holmes said...

Thanks, Skitty! Actually, Alexis has samples from her book available on her website under the "Books" section. Click on the "Things" area and you can see some of her illustrastion work as well as read the samples. :)

Rebecca Cantrell said...

I can vouch that you know Michelle, since I personally saw you together at Thrillerfest. But Alexis might be photoshopped in for all I know. :)

I read somewhere that the best writing partnerships are those where each member of the team secretly feels like they are getting the best part of the deal (kinda like marriage). Sounds like you'd all be getting a sweet deal.

I'd like to read the book you guys create. Good luck!

ailishsmom said...

That was sweet! Who knew that someone who creates such bad ass villains had a softer, sentimental side? It scares me a little. Also, Pirate Peas are better. ;)

Jeannie Holmes said...

Thanks, Becky, and no Alexis isn't photoshopped in. She was really there. I have other photos as well. :)

Jeannie Holmes said...

Thanks, T'. You should be afraid....very afraid.

And, yes, Pirate Peas may sound better but there is a story to the Ninja Peas name. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you....stealthfully.

Kelli Stanley said...

What a great blog, Jeannie! And having met Michelle, I know you three would write a rockin' book. ;)

xoxo

Kelli

Jeannie Holmes said...

Thanks, Kelli, my dahlin'! Oh, by the way, I think Michelle will be coming to RT next year. We're trying to convince Alexis to come as well. It'll be a hoot for sure if the Three Ninja Peas storm LA. ;)

Shane Gericke said...

Ground Zero Blues Club ... whatta great name for a music joint! Great blog, Jeannie.