Tuesday, December 21, 2010

'Twas the night to be grateful


‘Twas the night before…


By Rebecca Cantrell



‘Tis the season to be sentimental. This year I’ve been thinking about things that I’m grateful for as a writer. So, as a warning, I’m going to list them off now. It will be sappy. The less sensitive among you should go back and read Josh’s post on the 8 days of Hannukah. It has more severed penises than sentimental phrases and is, like all Josh’s stuff, good writing.

These writerly things I’m grateful for are in no particular order:

I am grateful for other writers. Just today I received in the mail a box of books from the talented YA author Kathryn Lasky. Her novels, The Guardians of Ga’Hoole, were made into a movie last summer that my son and his friends loved. Kathryn heard about my books from our mutual agent and read mine and now just sent me some of her books, including two signed for my son. What a lovely holiday present! To find another writer likes your book and gives you hers. And that is just the most recent example of writerly camaraderie I’ve experience from writers published and non, including my fellow blog mates. I’m sober and I’m sayin’ to all of my fellow writers (male and female): I love you, man!

I am grateful for readers. I’m humbled and thrilled every time someone tells me they read my book. In this day and age the investment of $25 for a hardcover book and hours of your time to read it is a precious commodity. And then some folks actually go out of their way to write a review or an email or come to a reading. Wow. Just wow. Bless you readers, every one!

What possesses people to spend their whole lives helping others to get their vision out there? How did I get lucky enough to stumble on them? I don’t know, but I’m immensely grateful that such people exist, from agents to editors to cover designers to booksellers to publicists to reviewers to bloggers. Without you I’d just be writing quietly in my cave (which I have to confess that I do adore) and I would never have met those other writers and readers.

Thank you everyone! And happy holidays! You all already gave me the best presents ever.

17 comments:

Joshua Corin said...

I know I'm going to sound like a sentimentalist, but I'm grateful for all my friendships here, starting with you, Becky, for the awesome favor of introducing me to this lovely gang of mindful criminals.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Hey,thanks, Josh! I really invited you because you're funny and I figured you could write half my posts...err...I mean I was thrilled at the opportunity to share my spot on Tuesdays. :)

It is a lovely gang, isn't it? Especially after Tracy makes us our jackets.

Kelli Stanley said...

Aw, ain't we a bunch of saps? ;) We wouldn't be writing crime fiction if we weren't ... trying to right wrongs and Dudley Do-Right stuff, only much cooler and with less repetition in the animated backgrounds.

Thank you, Beck, for being YOU, and for writing, and for venturing out of the cave (and a Hawaiian one, at that!) :)

Love and xoxo!

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Crime writers are surprisingly sappy for folks who wade through blood.

Thanks to YOU Kelli for starting the madness known as 7 criminal minds.

Meredith Cole said...

Awww... What a great post, Becky! I'm also grateful to have all of you saps in my life... Hope everyone has an amazing holiday! Beginning to wonder if I'm the only one who will be attempting a poem this week...

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Thanks, Meredith! I can't wait to read your poem. Be braver than the rest of us! Show us how it's done! Jeannie did the 8 days of vampire Hannukah poem, so it's possible. :)

Rochelle Staab said...

What a lovely post, Rebecca. I hope your holidays are filled with joy and may 2011 be inspired.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Thank you, Rochelle! And thanks very much for commenting too.

I hope that your holidays are wonderful too!

Lois Winston said...

Sweet post, Becky! If we can't be sentimental this time of year, when can we?

Reece said...

Well said, Becky! Nice things like that box of Kathryn Lasky books just tend to happen to folks who are as generous as you are.

And if we're getting gang jackets, you know what comes next don't you? A rumble!

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Thanks, Lois!

Reece: Who do we rumble with? A similar blog? Those Murderati folks look tough, ditto Jungle Red.

Or do we split into teams and rumble each other?

If so, I want to be on Tracy's team. She looks like she can handle herself.

Reece said...

You have a point, Becky. I'm not sure I'd want to tangle with Murderati or Jungle Red. Or Kill Zone, for that matter. Just forget I mentioned the whole rumble idea.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

I suddenly feel like the Kinder Gentler blog. And that is NOT supposed to be our reputation. I think we have to go kick some ass or have our asses kicked, now that it's come up.

The eighth rule of Fight Club...

Kelli Stanley said...

Meredith, I wrote a poem for this week, too! :)

Couldn't resist the opportunity ... it was a lot of fun.

Becks, I think we can be secure in our tough criminal mindness, at least for the holiday season ... we can kick ass in the new year, though. ;)

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

You hit the nail on the head, Rebecca. All writers should be grateful for those who keep our dreams and visions alive: readers, other writers, agents, editors, publicists ... the list is longer than Santa's beard.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

OK, Kelli. If you say so we'll hold off on the rumble for another week. We can use that time to practice our trash talk.

Sue Ann: Right you are and thanks for mentioning publicists! I can't believe I left them off my list. Must remedy that...

Happy Holidays to all!

Shane Gericke said...

Love ya back, Rebecca!