Sunday, January 2, 2011

Trees Don't Need No Stinkin' Deadlines

by Sue Ann Jaffarian
(with apologies to Joyce Kilmer)

I think that I shall never see
A time again when I’ll be deadline free.


A year filled with adrenalin I create,
Because I always procrastinate.

I look at the calendar each and every day,
And lift my eyes to the publishing gods to pray.

This year I’ll be better, cross my heart, I swear,
But three books a year is truly a bear.


Sometimes I’m sure I’ve gone insane,
That stability and common sense have hopped a train.

Stamina, perseverance and commitment are the key,
And the dream that one day on the NYT Bestsellers List I’ll be.


Sue Ann Jaffarian
www.sueannjaffarian.com
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

4 comments:

Mary Vaughn said...

Perhaps the original "Tree" was written in procrastination? At any rate, I love this version and the illustration. Maybe I should frame it for inspiration (and another procrastination). lol

Meredith Cole said...

Three books a year?! I am so impressed, Sue. Love the poem, too.

Happy New Year!

Reece said...

Happy New Year, Sue! Nice job. And producing three books a year is amazing! You may feel like you're procrastinating at times but, trust me, you're not!

Anonymous said...

You...? Procrastinate....? Been following you for years, you're the hardest working author out there!!