Monday, February 21, 2011

A Night In and A Super Bowl Win

Your protagonist has had one of THOSE days. He/she just can't wait to get home and lock the door. What's a night in look like?

It's funny that I should be given this topic. Not so long ago, my protagonist Alexandra Sabian actually spent a "night in" with her on-again-off-again lover Varik Baudelaire. They watched the Super Bowl and were cheering for opposing teams. Alex backed Green Bay while Varik supported Pittsburgh, even though he doesn't understand American football. (A vampire born in 1833 does have a few challenges when it comes to sports.)

The evening started badly. As Alex reported on Twitter, she burned the pre-game pizza rolls she'd planned as her dinner. (Yes, my characters tweet.) This shameful act of food desecration led to Varik coming over to Alex's apartment to cook a proper meal: rack of lamb. (Did I mention Varik is French and a bit of a foodie?)

Soon the game started, and in true football fashion, there was a friendly wager between Alex and Varik. I think the night is best summarized and highlighted by Alex and Varik in their own tweeted comments...

VarikBaudelaire: Reminding @AlexSabian of our wager. If the Steelers win, you clean my apartment for a week. If the Packers win, I bathe your cat for a month.
5:20 PM Feb 6th

AlexSabian: Yes! Packers win the toss!
Sunday, February 06, 2011 5:31:38 PM

VarikBaudelaire: Should I wave my towel now?
5:36 PM Feb 6th

AlexSabian: No, you throw it in. @VarikBaudelaire
Sunday, February 06, 2011 5:36:57 PM

VarikBaudelaire: Throw it in what?
5:38 PM Feb 6th

VarikBaudelaire: "See who gets on top." I had no idea American football was so...suggestive.
5:38 PM Feb 6th

AlexSabian: I meant your team is going to lose.
Sunday, February 06, 2011 5:41:36 PM

VarikBaudelaire: "Tight end"... "Full back"..."going low".... I'm confused. This is a *game*, correct?
5:47 PM Feb 6th

VarikBaudelaire: "Trying to get his quarterback into a rhythm." Do I really need to say anything here?
6:04 PM Feb 6th

AlexSabian: Get your mind out of the gutter!
Sunday, February 06, 2011 6:19:09 PM

(As I said before, Varik doesn't fully understand American football, and he found plenty of "colorful commentary" to mock throughout the game. I won't repeat it all here. Believe me, there was a lot.)

VarikBaudelaire: Dear @AlexSabian... "Your rack is unreal...." My heart told me to tell you that.
Sunday, February 06, 2011 6:25:55 PM

(Varik also enjoyed mocking the commercials. Alex, naturally, found his behavior annoying and took matters into her own hands.)

VarikBaudelaire: She bit me!! @AlexSabian bit me!!
Sunday, February 06, 2011 6:28:01 PM

AlexSabian: Biting @VarikBaudelaire was completely justified.
Sunday, February 06, 2011 6:30:15 PM

AlexSabian: I just wish he didn't try to dance after the Steeler touchdowns.
Sunday, February 06, 2011 7:48:26 PM

(The above comment was in response to a third party's question regarding Varik. It was followed by...)

AlexSabian: Picture this: A chicken. An electrified fence. Combine the two. That would be @VarikBaudelaire attempting to dance. :)
Sunday, February 06, 2011 7:52:46 PM

(To which the third party replied that perhaps Varik should take dance lessons. His response...)

VarikBaudelaire: I'll take lessons if @AlexSabian accompanies me. She's failed to mention she has the dancing grace of a drunken gorilla.
Sunday, February 06, 2011 8:03:46 PM

AlexSabian: Drunken gorilla?! That's it - where's my gun?
Sunday, February 06, 2011 8:08:32 PM

VarikBaudelaire: Well hidden. I made certain of that before the game.
Sunday, February 06, 2011 8:10:10 PM

(As the game progressed, the Steelers appeared to be making a comeback in the second half. The following came after an especially fantastic touchdown on their part...)

AlexSabian: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Sunday, February 06, 2011 8:43:12 PM

VarikBaudelaire: YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
Sunday, February 06, 2011 8:43:29 PM

VarikBaudelaire: Three points for a tie and seven for... pom poms!!!
Sunday, February 06, 2011 8:48:58 PM

(The wager was previously amended to include Varik wearing only a towel and no body armor to bathe Dweezil, Alex's Maine Coon cat, for a month and Alex wearing pom poms while cleaning Varik's apartment.)

AlexSabian: Oh dear. @VarikBaudelaire is dancing again. It's too painful to watch.
Sunday, February 06, 2011 8:50:20 PM

VarikBaudelaire: Six point game. This is going to be close.
Sunday, February 06, 2011 8:58:22 PM

AlexSabian: Green Bay ball!!! Yeeeesssssssssss!!
Sunday, February 06, 2011 9:05:27 PM

AlexSabian: YES!! I WIN!
Sunday, February 06, 2011 9:06:51 PM

VarikBaudelaire: No! My pom poms!!
Sunday, February 06, 2011 9:07:23 PM

So ended the "night in" for Alex and Varik. Actually, there was more but that was all that was tweetable.

In all seriousness, Alex is the only law enforcement officer assigned to police the vampire population of Jefferson, Mississippi so she's literally on call 24-7. She doesn't get days off or nights in very often. When she does, she's usually asleep with Dweezil the cat curled up next to her. Sometimes Varik takes the cat's place, but the relationship between Alex and Varik is a rocky one.

But the Super Bowl gave them (and me) a chance to have a little fun and unwind for a night. I think everyone deserves a little break once in while...even vampire cops.

-Jeannie




5 comments:

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Great post, Jeannie! I'm glad that some scoring happened, regardless of what was on TV.

Bathing Dweezil with no body armor? That's just...inhuman...oh, wait...I get it now.

Meredith Cole said...

Very funny! I like that they tweet their feelings(even when they're in the same room with another). Perhaps Twitter will give future historians access to people's thoughts and feelings that otherwise would have disappeared over the phone lines...

Jeannie Holmes said...

Thanks, Becky. Yes, there was scoring on and off the field. As for Dweezil, he's not happy about the baths. Then again, neither is Varik, but Alex is enjoying herself. :)

Jeannie Holmes said...

Thanks, Meredith. These conversations between characters can get really funny when others join in, like when one person who suggested Varik bit Alex in retaliation for biting him.

But the characters don't always stay home. Alex and Varik have been to New Orleans and Las Vegas and tweeted their adventures. I view it as an extension of the books and characters' world. :)

Kelli Stanley said...

Utterly delightful, Jeannie!!! :) I enjoyed the banter way more than the game!! ;)

Can't wait until BLOOD SECRETS is out!! :)

xoxo