Wednesday, March 2, 2011

High School Reunion - Rah! Rah! Rah!

By Tracy Kiely

Ahhh…the sublime joy of a high school reunion. Heading into the hotel’s ballroom, my heart beats with excited anticipation. I can hear the distinctive beat of Duran Duran’s Rio pounding from the speakers. How fun! It all comes rushing back to me; those heady, happy carefree days of high school. I pause for a moment to remember some of the highlights. My first boyfriend; what a treasure he turned out to be! Really, the stuff of dreams. Same with the second. And the third. Oh, and how can I forget the beautiful cheerleaders as they walked the halls together in their tight-knit group? How nice it was to see such close friendships and be reminded every day of the stunning beauty that some humans possess! And the confidence I had back then! The self-assured poise, the knowledge that I was special and that my little quirks and differences made me unique. And the class assignments! Who could fail to be uplifted and inspired when reading such a classic as Ethan Frome? Really, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't adore the tale of two thwarted lovers whose failed suicide attempt leaves them as disfigured, bitter invalids? Such romance! Of course, I can't not mention the thrill in discovering the easy intuitive nature of Physics! What a wonderful class that was, especially when taught by dear old Mr. Yousef. How charming it was to attempt to interpret his rapid, heavy Russian accent while taking critical notes. How right he was to promise that as a adults we would use this knowledge daily.

Yes indeed, those were the days, my friends.

Yeah.

So, no one was too surprised to find out that I write fiction. As for the part where I kill off people; well, lots of them had Mr. Yousef, too.

6 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

Too funny! I wasn't very fond of my Physics teacher, either. He liked to say "when you take college physics..." ignoring the fact that many of us planned to never take Physics ever again if we could help it.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

At my 30th HS reunion, I walked into the place and thought: what a great place for a murder. You know, all those unresolved issues and stale bitterness. It became the plot of my 3rd Odelia Grey novel, Thugs and Kisses. :) I'm glad high school turned out to be good for something.

TracyK said...

Yeah. Mr. Yousef would tell us to "erermine the vate of de feeder falling." Six weeks it took me to transcribe that to "determine the rate of the feather falling." Never did, of course.

TracyK said...

Right? I've killed off loads of people from those days. Some of 'em twice.

Reece said...

Nice post, Tracy. I think we've all had a Mr. Yousef. And mine taught physics, too. I haven't killed him off yet in my fiction, but he's on my short list ....

Kelli Stanley said...

LOL--thank you, Tracy!! :)

Somewhere, I think even Edith Wharton is chuckling ... ;)