Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cheating Death

By Tracy Kiely

I am cheating this week. I know the topic is have you ever regretted killing a character, but the sad fact is I have not. Everyone one of my characters (that were killed) was a major pain in the ass to those around them and deserved to die.

Nice sentiment from an Irish Catholic lass, eh?

But seriously, they did deserve to die. That’s why writing mysteries is so fun! (Well that and the huge financial rewards that inevitably follows.) When you write a mystery, you can finally kill off that girl who plagued you all through high school, or the boss who made you clean his house before a staff event. You are the God and they are your subjects. The nice ones are rewarded and the evils one are dealt with appropriately.

Now before you think I’m some sociopath in need of therapy and a heavy dose of meds, let me be clear. By killing these people off, I let off steam, lower my blood pressure, and am able to “let things go.” And, if the nightly news is any indication, this is a major problem for loads of others people in the world.

So. No remorse.

Which leads me back to the cheating part. Because this post is so short, I will take up last week’s challenge. Five truths about me and five falsehoods.

1. I’ve jumped off a bridge.

2. I can ask where the bathroom is in three languages.

3. I once was stuck in an airplane bathroom for over an hour.

4. I am pretty sure that my cat is trying to kill me.

5. I’ve never gotten a speeding ticket.

6. I lived in Canada.

7. I have a tattoo of the date Pride and Prejudice was published on my left ankle (1813).

8. I grew up in a large Irish Catholic family, the youngest of five.

9. My first book is being made into a film.

10. I was surprised to be alive on May 22.

The first one to correctly answer will receive a copy of my latest book Murder on the Bride’s Side. Good luck!

14 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

I'm having my doubts about the tattoo, and jumping off the bridge. But living in Canada doesn't sound too far-fetched. Very interested to see the results!

TracyK said...

I am revealing nothing until the end.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Here goes!

2, 3, 4, 8, 9 (If one is correct, I hope it's this one!)

I actually DO feel guilty about the people who died in my books. I feel like such a sap.

TracyK said...

I love how everyone thinks my cat is trying to kill me.

And, it's true!

Rebecca Cantrell said...

OK, but how many OTHERS were true.

All our cats are trying to kill us. That one wasn't hard. :)

TracyK said...

True. That was a give away. Four others are true.

Welllll????

Michael Wiley said...

Okay, I'm thinking it was a smallish, lowish bridge: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6.

TracyK said...

Still no winners!

Reece said...

Here goes. I think these are the true ones: 1 (bungee jumping?), 4 (if cats were bigger than us we'd all be dead), 6 (unremarkable enough to be true?), 7 (if it isn't true it should be), and 9 (I hope this one's true for your sake).

TracyK said...

Okay - how about if you guess FOUR things, as no one is getting five?

Kelli Stanley said...

Well, the cat is a given ... though mine takes out her frustration on rodents (I guess it's her more bloody equivalent of writing).

So, given the undeniable truth of #4, my guess for the rest of them are:

2, 3, 6, 7 (since you mention being Irish Catholic, I think you're setting us up with #8).

And somehow, Tracy, I don't think you were surprised on May 22! ;)

TracyK said...

Nope. Wow, who knew that I was such a mystery wrapped in an enigma?

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Well, you're also grading harder than the other teachers. Yesterday I told everyone how many they had right, so the newer guessers could use logic. Of course, I didn't give Josh a prize when he won. *insert cyberhandshake for Josh here*

Gabi said...

I don't know if I'm too late, but I've got to try for the book.

1, 2, 4, 5, 8 and 10. And I didn't look ahead.