Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Evil Twin Rebecca de Mornay Project

Reece Hirsch


I have never felt any remorse about killing off a character. In fact, there were a few left alive at the end of my first book that I would have iced without batting an eye if the opportunity had presented itself. But I may still get my chance. That’s what sequels are for, right?


Therefore, I’m going to do what several of my fellow Criminal Minds have done this week and take up last week’s question. Of these ten things, five are true and five are false. Can you spot the lies?


  1. I have been in the middle of a mosh pit during a Clash concert in Brixton.


  1. In middle school, I was the campaign manager for a fictional candidate for class president.

  1. I have family ties to New Iberia, Louisiana, stomping ground of Dave Robicheaux and James Lee Burke.

  1. If you’ve recently received a letter telling you that you may be a victim of identity theft, there’s a decent chance that I had a hand in preparing it.

  1. If you have recently been a victim of identity theft, there’s a decent chance that I stole your personal information.

  1. I was once given the hellish assignment of pitching screenplay ideas for the “evil twin Rebecca de Mornay project.”

  1. I was a contributing writer for Fence Industry magazine.

  1. I am a pathologically loyal fan of the Green Bay Packers.

  1. I once spent four hours floating in a white, egg-shaped sensory deprivation tank.

  1. My mother and grandmother ran an establishment called Reece’s in Marceline, Missouri (Walt Disney’s childhood home) that is believed to be the model for the soda shop on Main Street USA at Disneyland.

16 comments:

Gabi said...

We're going to call you Remorseless Reese. And people think I'm scary. Yikes.

Okay, here are my guesses for truth.

I think you're a mosher.

That no remorse thing seems Cajun.

Evil twin Rebecca is in your wheelhouse.

I'm from Wisconsin. Every packer fan is psychotic (see the no remorse comment).

I'm buying your family soda shop story. There's nothing more evil than all the niceness of Disneyland. Shudder.

Reece said...

You're 3 for 5, Gabi! Nice start! And I think Remorseless Reece has a certain ring to it.

Kelli Stanley said...

OK, Remorseless Reece, here are my guesses:

1, 2, 5, 9, 10

Go, Clash! ;)

Reece said...

Kelli -- You're also 3/5. Thanks for stopping by on a holiday weekend!

Kelli Stanley said...

I wouldn't miss it!! I've also posted the answers for my earlier go.

There's something so liberating about being able to lie without guilt! ;)

Michael Wiley said...

All right, here goes:

1, 2, 3, 6, 10

Reece said...

4 of 5, Michael. You ARE the human lie detector!

Gabi said...

I think Michael is cheating. Either that or he is having us followed.

Reece said...

Well, since Michael writes PI novels, I suppose it is a possibility ....

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Michael is scary, isn't he?

Merciless Michael and Remorseless Reece. Has a nice ring to it.

I'm guessing:

2, 3, 4, 6, 10

Gabi said...

I guess that makes us Sugar and Spice, Becky.

Reece said...

We have a winner! Congrats, Rebecca, you went 5 for 5!

So here's the wrap-up:

1. False. It was my wife who saw the Clash in Brixton when she was an exchange student.

2. True. The fictitious candidate's name was Norton Glick. If the write-in ballots hadn't been thrown out, he would have won.

3. True. My mother-in-law grew up in New Iberia and we visit every few years.

4. True. When I'm not writing thrillers (which is much of the time), I'm a privacy lawyer.

5. False. I'm glad no one guessed that this one was true.

6. True. There is no such thing as a good evil twin story.

7. False, but I once worked for the company that published Fence Industry, along with a host of fine titles like Container News and Solid Waste Management.

8. False. I am a pathologically loyal fan of the Minnesota Vikings, which is the opposite of being a Packers fan.

9. False. I spent one hour in a sensory deprivation tank and wrote an article about it -- it just felt like four hours.

10. True, or at least I'm pretty sure it's true.

Michael Wiley said...

I'll reveal my strategy: phrenology. It's difficult since you're there and I'm here, but I've found that by printing out your author pictures, measuring them with a ruler and multiplying by seven, I can pretty closely determine what you would and wouldn't do.

Clearly, though, it's an inexact science since I only came close, while Rebecca and Joshua hit five for five.

So, I want to know YOUR strategy.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

I cheated and rode to victory on your shoulders, Michael. I pasted your 4 of 5 in mine, threw out the most likely one (number 1) and put in something else.

Josh, I think, has us under surveillance. Or maybe he has ESP.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Gabi: We can switch off!

Reece said...

I'm afraid I don't have a prize for the winner (not even a copy of the home game). However, I do promise to buy Rebecca a drink at the next conference.