Friday, May 13, 2011

Guilty pleasures on my bookshelf

by Meredith Cole

My bookshelf is a work in progress. But there isn't much circulation on its shelves. That's where I put books once I've read them, and occasionally I take them back down again to read again. They are also books that we don't mind sharing with our visitors--at least they're all there for anyone to see.

So where are my guilty pleasures? Mostly I get those from the library. I find it hard to pass up some authors on the new book shelf. I've read all the J.D. Robb mysteries (I know they're all mostly the same, but they're relaxing reads--really), and I pick up the occasional romantic suspense book by Jayne Ann Krentz or Linda Howard. Sometimes, if they plot loses me, I put them down and don't finish them. But they're waiting for me at the end of the day, like candy, if I've finished my word count, and scrubbed the kitchen floor and done everything else I need to do.

And then there are magazines. My library lets you check out magazines. So these days I have copies of Horticulture, Fine Gardening, Bon Appetit, Self, Vanity Fair and Atlantic Monthly piled on my bedside table. I have recently become a gardening addict, and although reading the magazine hasn't transformed my lawn into a perfect showplace, it's both inspiring and fun. So at night I page through the lives of the rich and famous, exciting recipes and yet another way to firm up your abs. I feel vaguely guilty that I'm not reading some worthy tome, brushing up on the classics, improving my French or churning out even more pages. But then I get over it. And have a few gummy bears or some dark chocolate (stashed at the back of the fridge behind the eggs). Now that's a real guilty pleasure.

6 comments:

Mollie Cox Bryan said...

Meredith, what a FAB shot of you with those sun glasses. I'm with you on the guilty pleasures--chocolate, the darker the better. Great post!

Meredith Cole said...

Thanks Mollie! I'm so relieved the post finally went live after all the blogger snafus today...

Art Taylor said...

Nice post -- and yep, great pic too!

Gabi said...

A magazine is as close as I like to get to yard work. Stick with the chocolate and Jayne Ann Krentz.

Meredith Cole said...

Thanks for coming by Art and Gabi! I thought a guilty pleasures post needed an undercover shot...

Gabi said...

It is a really good shot. All attitude. So good, in fact, I may pass it off as me on my next cover.