Sunday, May 29, 2011

No Regrets

By Hilary Davidson

I've killed a lot of people. Sure, I've only published one novel so far (second one coming on February 14, 2012!), but I've written plenty of short stories, and they have given me ample opportunity to rack up a body count. In some cases, I've been glad to kill off certain characters (see "Son of So Many Tears," "Stepmonster," and "Good Bones"; I think you'll understand my sentiments). In other stories, the deaths are unjust, yet essential to the story (see "Fetish," "Cheap Bastard," and "Insatiable"). The Damage Done has a mix of both: some awful people get what's coming to them, and a couple of characters who deserve better come to a sad end. Still, all of those deaths were necessary to tell that particular tale. I don't regret any of them.

Since I've loved the Criminal Minds' version of truth or dare over the past two weeks, I've decided to follow suit. Below are five true statements about me and five false ones. Can you tell which is which?

1. My brothers' nickname for me is "Beast."

2. I am terrified of swimming in open water. Actually, I just hate swimming, period.

3. I've studied martial arts since I was eight years old. I have a black belt in karate and have also taken lessons in judo and krav maga.

4. I played Reno Sweeney in my high school's production of Anything Goes.

5. My first trip outside of North America was to Ireland.

6. My face has been on the cover of a national magazine.

7. I've gone swimming with sharks. I mean that literally.

8. I have a tattoo of a sphinx on the back of my right shoulder.

9. I met my husband, Dan, while on vacation in France.

10. I learned to scuba dive in the St. Lawrence River.

(PS The photo above is from Book Expo America this past week; I had the pleasure of signing The Damage Done at the Mystery Writers of America booth, along with one of my writing heroes, Megan Abbott [center], who signed The End of Everything, which comes out July 7th. Book blogger extraordinaire Jen Forbus [left] came by to say hi.)


14 comments:

Gabi said...

Matter of factly admitting you're a serial killer is, well, refreshing.

Here are my guesses:
1, 4, 5, 7 and 10.

I can't imagine you afraid of anything!!

Bryce Daniels said...

I'm gunna go with 1,3,5,7, and 9.

Because I'm an odd kind of guy, plus these really do seem to fit you.

:)

Hilary Davidson said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Gabi! And I'm glad my honesty about my murderous ways can be considered refreshing. You, my dear, have scored an impressive 3/5.

taitdesign® said...

I expect they are all true.

Hilary Davidson said...

Bryce, my husband told me I was being tricky when I wrote this, because a couple of my lies are actually very close to the truth. Two of your picks are almost-true lies, so you deserve extra credit, in addition to getting 2/5 right!

Hilary Davidson said...

@taitdesign Thanks for stopping by! I wanted the lies to seem plausible: two of them are close to the truth, and two seem completely reasonable even though they're wrong. Only one is an absolute howler — it was hard to type because it made me laugh so hard!

Bryce Daniels said...

Well, shucks.

I like your logic, and I also wish I had had you as a teacher in school! Ha!

Have a great holiday.

Michael Wiley said...

I'm going to have to agree with Gabi and Bryce on #1, not because I see anything beastlike about you but because I'm a brother and I have two sons who are brothers and so I know what brothers are like. My full list:


1, 3, 6, 7, 10

Hilary Davidson said...

Michael, you are the best! Not only because you've kept up the amazing batting average you've had all week (an awesome 4/5), but because you're willing to believe I've been on the cover of a national magazine. Thank you!

Chris said...

Ahem. The _Holm household guesses (if you can call it that, which you can't, for we know all) 1,2,6,7,10.

What do we win?

Hilary Davidson said...

Busted — by the _Holm household! Chris & Kat know *way* too much about me and my wily ways, evidently. Their "prize" will arrive soon... very soon...

Full recap of truths & lies in a moment!

Hilary Davidson said...

In case you're curious, here's the rundown of what's true, almost true, and completely fabricated:

1. True. Michael's point about brothers is wise.

2. True! I can't tell you how much I hate swimming. But that hasn't held back my aquatic adventures.

3. False — but almost true. The only lie in this statement is that I have a brown belt, instead of a black belt.

4. False. So false. Did you ever read about Fred Astaire's first Hollywood screen test? The verdict was: "Can't sing. Can't act. Can dance a little." That sums me up.

5. False... but plausible. I've been to Ireland twice, but it wasn't my first destination outside of North America.

6. True! Harper's Magazine, February 1996. Check it out!

7. True. Hatred of swimming/fear of water doesn't hold me back when a magazine will pay for a crazy story.

8. False. But so tempting!

9. False — but almost true. I me Dan on vacation in Italy, not France.

10. True. More proof that I'll do anything for a story.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Darn, I was too late to the party. But I would have definitely voted true on #1.

Erin said...

What fun! My guesses were totally wrong...although I was right about you being on a magazine cover and your first trip not being to Ireland (although I'm thrilled to know you have been!) And for the record, I'm using this photo as proof that I *can* take good pictures :))