Monday, May 9, 2011

NOT EVERYONE’S CUP OF TEA

This week’s question: What is your guiltiest pleasure on your bookshelf? I don’t know which of my Criminal Minds colleagues came up with that question, but I’m assuming he or she expected a book title or two. The thing is, I don’t consider any of my books guilty pleasures. I rarely read a book more than once because there are just too many unread books teetering on too many TBR piles. The books I use for research aren’t guilty pleasures; they’re part of my job as an author.

However, I do have a guilty pleasure, many guilty pleasures, actually, and they sit on every bookcase in my home. That guilty pleasure is my teapot collection.

Around fifteen or sixteen years ago, I was shopping at Christmastime with a friend. As we wandered around the china department, I saw a Santa teapot and made a casual comment about how some day, if I ever had lots of disposable income, I’d like to collect funky looking teapots. Several weeks later that Santa teapot arrived as a Christmas gift from that friend.

Word soon spread, and before I knew it, I was receiving funky teapots for every conceivable gift-giving holiday. Over the years, I’ve bought very few teapots myself. On a cruise to the Bahamas, I bought a fish teapot. When I went to Disneyland for the first time, I found a Minnie Mouse teapot. The rest have all been gifts, and the collection keeps growing with teapots in all shapes and sizes.

ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY GLUE GUN, my first cozy mystery was published this past January. I recently attended the Malice Domestic convention where teapots are awarded to the Agatha winners. In May of 2012, ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY GLUE GUN will be eligible for an Agatha for Best Mystery. If I’m lucky, I’ll be taking home a teapot to add to my collection.

Lois Winston drinks far more coffee than she does tea, but that doesn’t stop her from collecting tea pots. When she’s not dusting her collection, she writes the Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries. DEATH BY KILLER MOP DOLL, the second book in the series will debut in January 2012. Visit Lois at http://www.loiswinston.com and Anastasia at http://anastasiapollack.blogspot.com

14 comments:

Mollie Bryan said...

There's something about teapots... I have small collection and have always said when I get more space, I want more. I love your collection. I think the fish is my favorite. Cheers!

Lois Winston said...

Thanks, Mollie! My motto is, you can never have too many teapots.

Meredith Cole said...

I love the telephone teapot! Do you ever serve tea out of any of them? I think I have about four teapots, but I only seem to use one of them consistently (it's durable and easy to clean).

Lois Winston said...

I have used a few of them, Meredith, but as I said, I'm more a coffee drinker. My tea making/drinking is usually confined to when I'm having Chinese food, when I have a cold, or when I have tea drinking company. The miniature ones only work if you're serving tea to Lilliputians, but most of the others are usable. If I'm serving tea to company, I try to pick a pot that the visitor will appreciate.

Kelli Stanley said...

Nice collection, Lois!! I collect antique tea cups, myself. I agree with Meredith--my favorite is the telephone!

Rebecca Cantrell said...

My mother collected teapots for years and then gave them all away, but I still spot ones I would give her if she still had a collection. There are so many very cool ones out there.

I'm a tea drinker, yet only own one teapot, but if we ever have a 7 Criminal Minds tea at your house, I vote for the phone too!

Lois Winston said...

Sounds like the telephone teapot is a big winner. I'll definitely serve you tea in it if you ever drop by Rebecca.

Best Tea Pots said...

What wonderful gifts I love these unique teapots I think the telephone teapot stood out the most to me too. Who said you need to drink tea to have something so wonderful and besides if you did drink tea it would be tough everyday deciding which teapot to use.

Lois Winston said...

You make a good point, Best Tea Pots. Maybe I'll start serving other beverages in my teapots.

Liz V. said...

Great collection. Best of luck w/ your books. I enjoy your blog.

Lois Winston said...

Thanks, Liz!

Liz V. said...

You could offer some advice -- http://vintagekitchenmysteries.blogspot.com/2011/05/great-teapot-hunt-continues.html#comments

Tried unsuccessfully to post your blog on hers.

hannah Dennison said...

What an amazing collection of teapots! They're wonderful!

Victoria said...

What a great collection! I love the Blue Jay teapot. I think I actually have one of the tiny ones shaped like a house.

I collect more vintage teacups than teapots... it's a space thing. But I do have a few, and several milk pitchers, too, shaped like cats!

Thanks to Liz for pointing you out to me!