Monday, May 16, 2011

One of These Things Is Not Like the Other

This week the CMs are having a little fun with our readers. The assignment is to tell five true and five false things about ourselves but not reveal which is which. It's up to you, the reader, to guess. But don't be surprised if we decide to keep our secrets. After all, we are mystery writers.

So....let the games begin!

1. I sang in a hard rock band in the early 1990s.

2. One of the many jobs I had before I became a writer was as an auction "hauler." I would collect items from garage sales, estate sales, etc., clean them up, take them to an auction house, and sell them for a profit.

3. My favorite flavor of ice cream is vanilla.

4. In my teens, I owned a pet buzzard named Griswold.

5. I have a motorcycle license but never use it.

6. I own a black Christmas tree and decorate it with red ornaments.

7. I'm the youngest of six children.

8. My first job was working the weekend night shift in an emergency room.

9. My favorite colors are pink and yellow.

10. I'm not really from Mississippi but fake the accent to stand out in crowds.

There are five false statements and five true statements. Who wants to be first to guess which is which? :)

18 comments:

Reece said...

OK, I'll play. I'm going to guess that the true statements are 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8. And if you really were the singer for a Nineties hard rock band, I want to see photos!

Rebecca Cantrell said...

I really WANT you to have had a buzzard named Griswold, so I've decided that's true. I actually do have a tiny black Christmas tree that I decorate with red ornaments (topped by a red bat), so that seems very likely true for you as well, since I keep finding creepy similarities between up. Also true: auction hauler, motorcycle license, and youngest of six children.

So, to match Reece, that's: 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Reece and I don't agree on many, do we? You must be very good at mystery...as you are...

Jeannie Holmes said...

This is fun. hehehehe

Rebecca Cantrell said...

I can't believe you didn't throw in throwing knives...

Jeannie Holmes said...

That was too easy. :-)

Stephanie L. Parker said...

I'm going to say that the true ones are: 2,3,4,6,7

I'm probably way off, though.

Meredith Cole said...

What fun! Those are some great true and false questions. I know for sure though that you don't fake your accent, and... Are you going to ever tell us what's true and false? I want the buzzard named Griswold to be true, too.

Michael Wiley said...

All right, why not?

I say the true ones are 2, 4, 5, 6, and . . . and . . . either 1 or 8.

Joshua Corin said...

I knew that accent was fake!

Now I expect to hear your genuine Irish brogue at Thrillerfest.

Joshua Corin said...

(#6 is my FAVORITE)

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

I want to see the black Christmas Tree! I say 1, 3, 4, 6 and 9 are true.

Kelli Stanley said...

Like Becky, I can't bear the thought of Griswold as a figment of your wonderful imagination, Jeannie ... so 4 has to be true. As does 1, 6, 7, and 8.

I noticed you carefully omitted any reference to coffee, as we KNOW how much you love it!! :)

xoxo

Graham Brown said...

Yes - must agree - Griswold cannot be false - if he is you must go out and buy or capture one right now.

Onther than that - yes on rock band, yes on auction hauler, yes on motorcycle lic., yes on ER,

Jeannie Holmes said...

Scores so far:

Reece - 3/5

Becky - 3/5

Stephanie - 4/5

Michael - 2 or 3 out of five ;)

Sue Ann - 2/5

Kelli - 3/5

Graham - 2/5

Meredith - I think we should reveal the answers at the end of the week. :)

Stephanie L. Parker said...

Cool! We have never even met. Just got this from reading your writing & blog. ;)

Stephanie L. Parker said...

It's probably that 1 is true and 3 is not...

Jeannie Holmes said...

Here's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth:

1. False - No hard rock band.

2. True - I hauled to auctions for about year and learned a lot about spotting real antiques and replicas.

3. True - Vanilla is the base from which all manner of goodness springs.

4. False - Sorry to disappoint, but Griswold is pure fiction.

5. False - I've ridden motorcycles but don't have a license.

6. True - My Christmas tree is a small tabletop model. It's jet black and I decorate it with red ornaments.

7. True - I have three older sisters and two older brothers.

8. True - Oh, the stories I can tell...

9. False - Pink is gross and yellow is just waaaaaaay to happy.

10. False - Sorry, Josh, but this drawl is here to stay.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Thanks for fessin' up, Jeannie!