By Kelli Stanley
First things first: the answer to this week's question.
Death in my books is a dark, black thing, the one inescapable tragedy of life. I feel pain when I write about victims ... I feel a sober sense of resolute justice when a victimizer is slain. I don't celebrate death, even when the person is a mass-murderer and evil incarnate. I breathe a sigh of relief, and thank the Fates (and the Navy).
As a writer, I've regretted only the necessity of writing about the death of an innocent person. In CITY OF DRAGONS, one of the murders affected me almost as much as it did Miranda. In CITY OF SECRETS, too, writing about Pandora Blake--her back story--was an emotionally devastating experience.
Because I write noir, the criminals guilty of causing such pain and destruction are not always punished, let alone killed ... in this, the genre tends to mimic real life. Miranda does kill a man in CITY OF DRAGONS ... and he most definitely deserved to die. I had no regrets. Miranda, however, was scarred by the experience. Violence always leaves a mark, and taking another life--even one so resolutely sadistic as this one--leaves a wound.
One she deals with in CITY OF SECRETS ...
So, enough of that question. Let's move on!
Michael really scared me on Tuesday, so I've got to make this harder (especially because I can't remember what I've revealed at Bouchercon bars) ... 8 items below are true, 7 are false. Pick which ones are which!
1. I’ve sold advertising to an escort agency.
2. I turned down a scholarship to ACT (American Conservatory Theater).
3. I took Greer Garson home after a play.
4. I walked through a wax museum with Jason Robards.
5. I was arrested for disorderly conduct after a political rally.
6. I ate lunch with Robert Downey, Jr. and Leif Garrett during a political rally.
7. In college I earned infamy for spending the weekend at a rich oil scion’s ranch.
8. I once judo flipped an Italian on a Florence street.
9. I sang for tips in high school.
10. Anton LaVey (Church of Satan), Nicolas Cage and Robin Williams were customers of our family business.
11. I play the harmonica, piano, and clarinet.
12. I’ve written my own music.
13. Spiders bother me.
14. In college I hitchhiked through Europe for ten days.
15. I spent a weekend in a Florence hospital because of natural gas inhalation.Let the guessing begin!