Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Men Who Love Hannah Vogel

Men Who Love Hannah Vogel


By Rebecca Cantrell


This week’s question “why do fools fall in love?” is deceptively simple and completely impossible to answer. So, instead I decided to run through the fools who have fallen in love with Hannah Vogel. Considering her complicated lifestyle, it’s actually a fairly long list. I’ll try not to reveal any spoilers. And, since I just wrote a post where I cast the whole Hannah Vogel series at “My Book, the Movie,” I’ll paste in some pictures of the characters here (Hollywood version, British version, German version).

Walter. He never even gets a last name, but he and Hannah were engaged when she was seventeen. They never married because he was killed at the end of the Great War. If he had lived, she probably would have settled down into as a German housewife and started raising kids.

Paul Keller. He was delivered into the hospital where Hannah worked as a nurse with serious injuries to his leg and shell shock. She helped nurse him back to health and he proposed. She gave it a lot of thought, but turned him down because she did not want that housewife life after all. They remained friends and he helped to get her a job at the newspaper. In spite of his rudeness in A Game of Lies, he is my personal favorite for Hannah.

Boris Krause. Hannah meets him in A Trace of Smoke. He’s a banker with a teenaged daughter. His wife died in childbirth, so he’s been alone for a long time. He’s a solid dependable guy who can still hold his own in a car chase or a gunfight. He’s charming and handsome and a good father. He’s probably the guy she should marry.


Aaron Eckhardt Rufus Sewell Sebastian Koch

Lars Lang. Hannah meets him in A Trace of Smoke too. He’s a police kommissar who is also a member of the SS. Lars has the toughest journey of any of the characters so far. He’s devoutly loyal to Hannah, but he has a dark past, and a dangerous one. He is exactly the guy she shouldn’t get involved with, even though he has saved her life on numerous occasions (she’s saved his too) and they work well together as an espionage team.

Edward Norton Michael Fassbender Thomas Krettschman

So, whom should Hannah pick? Whom would YOU pick? And, which actor should play each character? (casting ideas for Paul Keller are welcome!)

8 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

That's quite a list, Becky! I like that she's got so many movie stars chasing after her... I think she should definitely not get involved with the SS guy (that could only end badly) and leave her options open. I've noticed that all the tension leaves certain series as soon as the protag hooks up permanently with someone...

Rebecca Cantrell said...

That's one vote for anyone but Lars.

You're right about the other. There is something about sexual tension that keeps readers going to find out who is the one. Don't worry, Hannah is not settling down any time soon, and it won't be easy for her when she does.

Thanks Meredith!

Farin said...

I used to be so anti-Lars and was all about Hannah and Boris, but after the last book, I think that Lars is the only one who is a real match for Hannah. And, like she said, he's the only one who really knows her as she is. I like them together right now, but if I know you at all, Rebecca, he's not the one.

Michael Wiley said...

If my P.I. had lived in 1940s Germany, he would have fallen hard for Hannah. I'm not sure that she would have given him the time of day, though -- She's too smart.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Thanks for stopping by, Farin! Lars has worked pretty damn hard to get where he is with Hannah. But, as you guessed, it's going to be complicated. For one, by the beginning of A CITY OF BROKEN GLASS, he's not back from Russia and it's been two years and Hannah thinks he's dead. For another, the author keeps trying to kill him. Poor guy.

He is a hell of a love interest.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Michael,

There is a lot of crap Hannah just won't put up with. Still, 'man from the future' in intriguing title, so you never know...

Farin said...

Oh noooo! I knew it wouldn't be too neat once he went to Russia. I'm going to spend the entirety of the next book with my heart in my throat, aren't I?

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Farin: I wickedly hope so! :)