Monday, September 12, 2011

DUDLEY DO-RIGHT TO THE RESCUE

It’s always difficult being the Monday blogger. Sometimes I’m not sure about the question of the week. Take this week’s question for example -- Name your stock characters: Pick names that epitomize the femme fatale, the evil boss, the psycho, the best friend, the stalking ex, etc. 

I’ve already named the characters in my series. Am I supposed to come up with alternative names? Or am I supposed to come up with names for an unwritten series? That’s kind of hard, given that I don’t know what that series will be about. And wouldn’t names that epitomize stock characters be a bit too obvious?

Think about it. What comes to mind when you think about this Question of the Week? For me, I immediately think about Jay Ward’s wonderful characters from 1960’s television. So here are my picks, and if I’ve misinterpreted this week’s question, in the immortal words of Bullwinkle J. Moose, “Quick! Let’s go to a commercial!”

Snidely Whiplash, Dudley Do-Right, Nell Fenwick, and Horse
The Hero: Dudley Do-Right
Boris Badenov, Natasha Fatale, and Fearless Leader
The Femme Fatale: Natasha Fatale

The Evil Villain: a tie between Boris Badenov and Snidely Whiplash

The Evil Boss: Fearless Leader
Rocky and Bullwinkle
The Sidekick: a tie between Bullwinkle J. Moose and Horse (not that either name epitomizes their characters; they're just cool sidekicks.)
Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman
The Nerd: Mr. Peabody (Doesn't Peabody sound like a nerdy name to you?)

The Clueless Author: Lois Winston

Lois Winston is off to Bouchercon at the end of the week. If you’re going to be there, stop by the Midnight Ink booth from 11am - noon on Saturday for a signed ARC of DEATH BY KILLER MOP DOLL, the second book in the Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries series. Lois will also be on a panel at 4pm with fellow Midnight Ink author Sebastian Stuart, with an autographing of ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY GLUE GUN to follow. On Sunday, she’ll be back at the Midnight Ink booth at 10am for a Meet the Author session. And if you can’t make it to Bouchercon, visit Lois at her website and Anastasia at her blog.



3 comments:

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Damn, I hoped that you would make sense of that question!

Great names you picked though!

Michelle Pendlelton said...

Oh! I remember this cartoon show from when I was kid! It's a really funny and entertaining show! I like your picks. They definitely fall under the categories you mentioned, especially Fearless Leader as The Evil Boss. And there is no better Femme Fatale character than Natasha Fatale - her name alone beats all other possible competition!

Lois Winston said...

Rebecca, I'd like to know who came up with this question. It really puzzled me. Not sure I copped out on it or not but didn't know what else to write.

Michelle, I think Jessica Rabbit would be a close second as a femme fatale in the cartoon world, but her name doesn't work for the question of the week.