Sunday, October 30, 2011

Happy Halloween!

By Hilary Davidson

My fellow bloggers at Criminal Minds have done an amazing job of coming up with Halloween costumes for our gang of rascals this week. Personally, I'd like to see us trick-or-treating as hitmen (hitpeople?), which means not changing our look one bit. Kelli's got enough fedoras to go around. If we were absolutely forced to dress up, I think we could take inspiration from Meredith's old stomping grounds, and go as hipsters from Williamsburg. (Which reminds me, if you haven't checked out "Halloween or Williamburg" yet, you're in for a treat! (Or a trick. See photo of Duct-Tape Guy. Whatever.)

I'm in Quebec City right now for the first-ever QuebeCrime Festival. I'm writing this post before the event, so I can't tell you how spectacular it is. All I can do is point out that the roster of attending writers includes Louise Penny, Daniel Woodrell, Lawrence Block, Denise Mina, Ian Rankin, Craig MacDonald, Andrew Pyper, and several other greats. Don't ask me how I got in. It was obviously my hitman or hipster costume!

Since I'm in a trick-or-treat mood, I should mention that the GoodReads giveaway of THE NEXT ONE TO FALL is now live. It's open until November 30th, which means the 10 winners will get their copy of my new book long before it comes out on February 14, 2012. There's also going to be a pre-order contest for THE NEXT ONE TO FALL, and llamas are involved (the book is set in Peru, so llamas, by law, run the show). Right now, I'm over the moon because one of my favorite writers, Laura Lippman, has some very kind words for the book:
“Lily Moore is one of the most appealing ‘amateur’ sleuths I’ve encountered in years. The vivid sense of place — Peru, in this case — is everything one would expect from a seasoned travel journalist like Hilary Davidson, the story is deliciously twisty, the characters engaging. I know I can’t be the only reader looking forward to more Moore.”

5 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

Thanks for the link to that site, Hilary! I'd never seen it before (but it's totally spot on...).

Enjoy the conference in Quebec (and take lots of pix)--sounds like a lot of fun.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Enjoy the conference, Hilary! I could totally do a hit man. I even have a DIY manual on it.

Hilary Davidson said...

Thanks, Meredith & Sue Ann! I know the Criminal Minds would rock as Halloween hitmen. Can't tell you how much I love the fact that Sue Ann has a DIY manual on the subject!

Kelli Stanley said...

Have fun, Hilary!! Sounds like a blast (no hitman pun intended). :)

And yup, you can have your choice of fedoras, summer-style, winter-style, short or wide brim ...

Happy Halloween!!

xoxo

Lois Winston said...

As long as we can get away with it, I can think of a few people I'd like to hit.

Have fun at the conference.