Tuesday, October 4, 2011

In loo

by Josh

Not to be too cheeky, but my honest answer to this week's question is, well, this blog entry, because here's the thing:

I've been under the weather.

"Under the weather" is a puckish sort of phrase, isn't it? We employ it as a euphemism for the aches, pains, chills, spills, and feverish heavings our bodies seem to experience every now and then, but what if anything do these have to do with the weather? When I was in elementary school, one of the helpful devices my teacher used to teach us prepositions was ____ the desk, as in if we could fill the blank with a word, the word was more likely than not a preposition. As such, whenever I hear the phrase "under the weather," I picture some unfortunate lady or some unlucky lad crouched underneath a omega-shaped stormy cloud while in reality, they are probably crouched beside a omega-shaped porcelain basin.

I know the feeling.

The philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer believed, essentially, that we lived in the worst of all possible worlds, but there is an important distinction between pessimism and fatalism and as I spent a few years this weekend entirely discombobulated, my buoy in this rocky sea was that soon this will pass. And surely you'll agree with me that "soon this will pass" has a certain advantage over that other popular piece of comfort food wisdom: "it could be worse," if only because the latter forces the imagination to suddenly create ever-worsening scenarios and, if your imagination is anything like mine, this path leads to dragons.

6 comments:

CPatLarge said...

It's never been a good idea to tell me to imagine the worst, as a counterpoint to whatever ails me, because like you, my imagination can take me to truly dreadful places.

Hope you are "over the weather" soon!

Joshua Corin said...

Thank you, Pat! I'm feeling much better today, actually.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Feel better so you can fight those dragons. My ever-worsening scenarios include alligators.

TracyK said...

Sorry you're under the weather, Josh! To quote Ferris Bueller's dad - wrap a hot towel around your head.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better, Josh!

My worst case scenarios have fatal and undiagnosed diseases,ones that cause parts to fall off, like leprosy.

Shane Gericke said...

Glad you are feeling better, Josh. You must be in tiptop shape for that TV show!

My worse case scenario happened last night. I was having drinks with an author friend and the bar RAN OUT OF BLACK LABEL. Poured the last drink to the guy right before me. I was forced to drink Maker's Mark.

Yes, I lead a sheltered life ...