Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Surprising Books?


by Rebecca Cantrell

Sorry for the late post. I've been distracted by Kona Ironman and Kona Ironmen.



I'm just going to list what I'm reading right now. I hate ranking things, especially books. I love them all (except for those really terrible ones, and I'm not going into that here).



In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
It's a terrific non-fiction account of Berlin in the late 1930s. My only complaint is that he didn't write it 5 years earlier and save me a lot of time in researching. A mesmerizing account of the Dodd family's experiences in Berlin when he was called there as ambassador. It was wonderful fun reading about some of the characters in my books. Grad students take note: Martha Dodd deserves a book all her own.






Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart
Finished this a few months ago, but it stuck with me, so I'm putting it in here. It's a satire of an only slightly futuristic America. It starts slow, but then sucked me into a world where everyone is connected to the Internet via handheld devices and the government owes a fortune to China and your credit rating is the most important number in your life and...maybe not that futuristic after all. The world was so close to real and eerie that it was scary. Maybe the scariest book I read this year so far.






The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice
I've read this a couple of times, and I just started it again. Part of me is appalled at how much I like that bad boy vampire, and part of me is enthralled by her wonderfully descriptive writing.










I'm also reading the Guardian's of Ga'Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky aloud to my son. We're on Book 8, "The Outcast," and I'm constantly amazed by the places she takes the story. The language is wonderful so it's a terrific read aloud, and it's a nice long set of books, so you can spend hours and hours curled up in that world.








I'm pretty sure any psychologist could have a field day with these three choices.

What are YOU reading?


5 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

Always looking for suggestions for the next read, Rebecca! And especially books to read to my son. Not sure what we're going to do when we finish Narnia and Harry Potter...

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

I'm also reading In the Garden of Beasts and felt compelled to do some further research about Martha Dodd. I totally agree that she should have her own book.

I'm also reading County Line by Bill Cameron and I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Meredith, I love the Guardians series! It has action, sympathetic characters, a fascinating world, and it's sustained itself well across the 8 books we've read so far.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Martha Dodd was fascinating, wasn't she? I can't believe she doesn't have her own book already. I just wish I had more time to get to the book.

Soon. The last house guests leave to day. Then laundry and cleaning and then back to just the three of us.

Gabi said...

I don't know. You seem normal and interesting to me but no one calls me doctor.

I want someone to read to me. It is yet another sad passage into adulthood that we lose our right to have someone tell us a bedtime story.

Totally understand the distraction.