Thursday, December 29, 2011

12 Resolutions for 2012

This year, I resolve

  1. To pay my taxes without complaining
  2. To eat something I never would have imagined putting in my mouth
  3. To save a dolphin even if it doesn’t want to be saved
  4. To break a board with my head
  5. To listen, watch, and learn
  6. To grow another inch taller
  7. To be inconsistent when it suits my purposes
  8. To forgive others
  9. To forgive myself
  10. To walk the dog and feed the fish
  11. To speak my mind
  12. To know when to shut the hell up
Michael is the author of the Joe Kozmarski novels, including A Bad Night's Sleep, which January Magazine has called one of the the best crime novels of 2011.

8 comments:

Vicki Delany said...

A nice list of the practical and the.. impossible?

Lois Winston said...

OK, I really need to know how you plan to grow an inch taller, because I could sure use an extra couple of inches. Spill, Michael!

Meredith Cole said...

Great list, Michaelt! My own list includes both the easy and the impossible--although I'm definitely done growing.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

How about an inch taller if measured vertically? I could do that.

Best of luck with the possible, the impossible, and the improbable. Hey, that's even good writing advice!

Happy New Year!

Reece said...

I have trouble with one resolution, much less 12, but I admire your ambition. Are you sure about numbers 2 and 4?

Michael Wiley said...

The practical and the impossible seem like a good combination to me in most things. And you're right, Rebecca: a good combination for writing. William Blake says, "What is now proved was once only only imagined." So, I'm counting on growing that extra inch.

Michael Wiley said...

As for how I'll grow that inch, Lois, I think it will have something to do with that new food I eat -- and definitely not the board I break.

Michael Wiley said...

I do tae kwon do, and some of my fellow tae kwon doers break boards with their heads on a regular basis (even though tae kwon do is a kicking martial art, not a head-butting one). I've never had the guts to try a board with my head: I have images of my head cracking in two and the board smiling at the accomplishment.