Friday, December 30, 2011

Dream a Little Dream

When do my resolutions become my revolution? I think that 2011 was my year for baby steps. Every year, in the tradition of Monk in an OCD crisis, I start a new journal on New Year's Eve complete with written resolutions in all the alphabetically organized BIG categories: Creative, Financial, Personal, Physical and Spiritual. I'm just better with a checklist I can cross off things on as the year progresses.

Last year, my resolutions numbered 61. They included a recommitment to myself as a writer and an artist. I'll be honest and confess the touchier-feelier the resolution, the more likely I am to be spending the following New Year's Eve rewriting the resolutions I didn't quite get done into the next year. But this year is different. This year I was positively scary in my willingness to take the leap of faith required of every writer who longs for people to read her work. I moved. I changed jobs. I reinvented my life. It hasn't been easy. It wasn't without hiccups and seismic shifts and it isn't over. My resolutions merged and melded and became my revolution. Maybe even my revelation.

The thing is, once you take that step off the cliff, you've got a long time to imagine splatting at the bottom. A long, long time. I honestly don't know how Wile E. Coyote has managed to stay sane facing the dropping of the ball in Times Square. But here I am, spending what is my Thanksgiving thinking not only of the amazing, horrifying, challenging (good and bad) things I'm thankful for in 2011, but looking forward to my next Turkey Day and what might be. To hold myself accountable, and to be able to rely on my friends to kick my butt if it comes to that (which it always does) here are my resolutions for my revolution in 2012:

Creative: 1. Finish new thriller and send to someone, anyone who might read it. 2. Finish my screenplay. 3. Take a class with other writer's who make me want to get better. 4. Support the writer's who have made me as good as I am. 5. Submit a short story to the MWA anthology.

Financial: 5. Budget for Thrillerfest. 6. Buy a round (or 10) for our first Criminal Minds panel. 7. Write full-time at least through April 1.

Personal: 8. Meet Shane Gericke. 9. Maui. 10. French Rosetta Stone.

Physical: 11. Run a mudder. 12. Danskin triathlon with Susan. 13. Bikram yoga. 14. Splits.

Spiritual: 15. Attend a Quaker community meeting without fidgeting. 16. Ask more people what they believe and listen with my heart as well as my head. 17. Community service with the homeless.

So there are only 17 this year. More importantly, they are mostly dream bigger, continue on goals. My resolutions, an inch at a time, have become the revolution, the evolution of me. It's fitting that I'm drafting my new plan on a day I am so thankful for all of you. I wouldn't have had the courage to set my bar this high without you and I certainly wouldn't have come this far in your absence. Sharing the list, inviting our blog readers to share our success and insisting that all of you know you are an integral part of the people we are, on the first day of the year and the last, I know my 2012 will be filled with opportunity and adventure.

What're your resolutions? How can I support you as you've always done me?

Thank you for...well, everything. I look forward to being amazed by all of you in 2012.
Gabi

9 comments:

Michael Wiley said...

I love the list, Gabi. But splits? SPLITS? That's right up their with my own resolution to grow another inch taller.

Good luck with yours!

Shane Gericke said...

I would love to meet you, Gabi. That would be awesome, cause I sorta know you from your terrific CM postings.

But I gotta echo Mr. Wiley here ... splits?!? Here's hoping you make it!

And lots of Scotch if you don't.

Michael Wiley said...

Yikes: "there," not "their."

Gabi said...

You'll seem taller from my position in the splits. It totally works, Michael.

Gabi said...

Shane,
You have to understand, I was one of those little kids already too concrete-like to touch my darn toes. I just want to blend in a world of Gumbys.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Gabi,

What great resolutions! I didn't actually DO resolutions this year. Muddle through is really all that's on my list.

I feel like such a slacker. A slacker who could never, ever, ever do the splits or come even close. It took me two years of martial arts and yoga to touch my toes (and that was years ago). I'll be happy to hand things down to the floor for you, if it gets that far.

Let me know how I can help with the others too. :)

Happy New Year!

Vicki Delany said...

As a non-list and non-resolution maker, I'm might impressed, Gaby. And somehow, I suspect you'll do it too.

Meredith Cole said...

Great list Gabi! I'm trying to be ambitious for myself this year, too. Hopefully we can all meet up at the half-way point of the year and check to see how it's going!

Lisa said...

Hi Gabi,
Great post! I wish you all the best with your list for 2012. I'll be making my own list soon, and I hope to stay connected. Big changes are ahead for me in 2012--both scary and exciting.

All the best!
Lisa