Saturday, December 17, 2011

Edgar wins the Edgar


Once upon a daytime dreary,
While I pondered weak and weary,
The pages blank as driven snow causing me teary,
Came a rapping, tapping at my chamber door,
Must be the bill collector, merely this and
nothing more.

I ducked out the rear to ease my fear,
To trod my way to the local tavern,
Mayhaps to partake of grog in the darkened cavern,
In this way settled, yet another attempt to test my mettle,
Pen in hand again, alone with no friends,
Deep in my mind turning,
All my soul within me burning,
Came the stranger from my chamber door,

Harken he decried, no debt arranger am I,
‘Tis good news I bring on gentle wing,
For I impart you word of joy to buoy you from folly,
As known you prone not to be jolly,

But as the father of the detective tale,
There was no way we’d send the news by mail,
For your works have been true,
And no one deserves this mighty award more than you,
Henceforth you shall bore anonymity
...Nevermore.

2 comments:

lil Gluckstern said...

You all outdid yourselves this week. Just so funny, and so true to the language. Thank you so much, for the pleasure.

Michael Wiley said...

Perfect. Who other than Edgar deserves an Edgar?