Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Edgar's Eyes


William Shakespeare accepts an Edgar for Hamlet . . .
 
My Edgar’s eyes are nothing like the sun;
The sky is far more fair than his coat’s blue;
If lips be red, why then he must have none;
If hair be soft, his must be made of glue.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in his cheeks;
And caterpillar eyebrows, like his, might
Be elsewhere found on circus sideshow freaks. 
In many velvet paintings there’s more art
Than issues from poor Edgar’s poor sad face – 
A bobble head shows more of mind and heart;
A mug like his ne’er graced a Grecian vase.
     And yet, by heaven, I think my Edgar as rare
     As any prize belied with false compare.

3 comments:

Gary Phillips said...

Nice!

Meredith Cole said...

I love it, Michael!

One year at the Edgar's, they gave all of us in the audience bobble head Edgar dolls. It's still one of my prized possessions.

Michael Wiley said...

Look forward to seeing you in NYC, Gary.

I want one of those bobble heads, Meredith.