Sunday, January 8, 2012

Much to Look Forward to in 2012


My last post was a look back at 2011, and some of the many moments that I loved. But now it's a new year, and I'm looking ahead. Some of the things I'm eagerly anticipating:

The Release of The Next One to Fall: I'm not normally a person who gets excited about Valentine's Day, but this year it's my release date! If you're in New York City, the launch party will be at The Mysterious Bookshop on February 15th at 6:30. After that, I'll be on tour in Houston (Murder by the Book on Feb. 17th), Austin (BookPeople on Feb. 18th), Scottsdale (The Poisoned Pen on Feb. 21st) and Glendale (Velma Teague Library on Feb. 22nd)... plus plenty of other places after that (Long Island, Toronto, Denver, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco... and more in the works). If you happen to pre-order a copy before Valentine's Day, please enter the pre-order contest; not only will you be eligible for a prize, but I'm donating a dollar to Heifer for each pre-order, so every one absolutely makes a difference.

Joining Two Boards of the Mystery Writers of America: on the National Board, I'm a Director at Large, which I love because the "at large" part makes me sound like a gunslinging desperado, or maybe a miscreant from an FBI "most wanted" poster. On the board of the New York Chapter, I'm a general rabble-rouser. Seriously, it's a huge honor to be elected (twice!) to serve on an organization with the power to do so much to help writers, both established and aspiring. I hope to do much to justify the confidence placed in me.

Visiting Israel: I'm heading there later this month. In a way, I can't believe I'm doing this now, with so much on the go (second book coming out, third book being revised). On the other hand, I've dreamed of visiting Israel for so long that I can't believe I've waited this long.

Attending Crime Conferences: So far, I'm scheduled for Left Coast Crime in Sacramento, Murder 203 in Easton, Connecticut, Bloody Words in Toronto, and Bouchercon in Cleveland. I love going to conferences (when else do I get to see — or meet — so many of my friends?), and I'm hoping to wriggle one or two more into the schedule this year.

Seeing the Release of Friends' Books: Some of the novels are ones I've already had the pleasure of reading (Chris F. Holm's Dead Harvest, Jake Hinkson's Hell on Church Street, Frank Bill's Donnybrook); others, I'm just looking forward to (Stephen Blackmoore's City of the Lost, Brad Parks' The Girl Next Door, Chuck Wendig's Blackbirds, Sophie Littlefield's A Bad Day for Mercy)... it's a long list, actually. There's nothing more exciting to me than delving into a friend's latest work.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks for the kind mention! Funny, your list of friends' books you're looking forward to looks a lot like mine. Of course, you'd have to substitute THE NEXT ONE TO FALL for the one by that Holm bum...

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Lots to look forward to, Hilary! When are you coming out to LA? BTW, I was just elected to the So. Cal MWA Board!

Hilary Davidson said...

Thanks to both of you for stopping by with kind comments. Chris, I know I'm just one of many looking forward to the release of DEAD HARVEST.

Sue Ann, congrats on being elected to the SoCal MWA board! (Are Criminal Minds taking over? I hope so.) I'll be reading in Los Angeles on Sunday, March 25 at Noir at the Bar (location TBD). On Wednesday, March 28, I'm doing an event at Mysteries to Die For in Thousand Oaks. Hope to see you while I'm out west!