Sunday, January 1, 2012

My 2012 Resolutions. Uh… Resolution.





Vicki here, on the first day of the new year. 2012. Here at last. Do you remember when the year 2000 seemed soooo far away? First, here's a couple of fun pictures taken in 2011.

I’m being put to shame here by the resolutions of my colleagues. If you haven’t read them yet, particularly Gaby’s, be sure and do so. Now that’s an impressive list. And I’ll bet she’ll go a long way toward accomplishing them.
Here’s my list:

1) …

That’s it. No resolutions. In the past I have resolved to lose 40 pounds, to run a marathon in October (at least a half-marathon) to write the Great Canadian Novel.

Never happened.

So, now I just let life progress as it will. Who knew at the beginning of 2011 that I’d spend three weeks in South Sudan or go on Safari in Kenya? Or that I’d get a TV option for the Constable Molly Smith series. (Notice how I snuck that in? Yup, it just happened! Stay tuned and keep fingers crossed.)

So no resolutions for me.

I have however, just sitting here typing, thought of one thing I should resolve. And that’s to spend less time on the Internet.

The Internet has got to be the greatest time waster ever invented. It’s definitely a writer’s curse (this writer anyway). I always come up with some plan to stop checking e-mail so much and stay off Facebook except for set periods during the day. Do you know, I can’t think of the last time I got a time-sensitive e-mail. As in, here’s a million dollar advance on your next book. But to get it you have to respond within the next ten minutes.

When I was on safari I went an entire week not only without e-mail but without any Internet access at all.

And guess what? I lived!

So that’s my new year’s resolution. I’ll stop spending so much time on the Internet. Particularly my writing time.

A very Happy New Year to all my 7 Minds colleagues and our readers. May all your resolutions come to pass.

P.S. Poisoned Pen Press is offering e-book editions of the first book in ten of their series for $0.99 for a limited time. That includes In the Shadow of the Glacier, the first in my Constable Molly Smith Series. Here’s a link, if you want to rush over and check them out.

2 comments:

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Jumping on board with the Internet resolution, Vicki!

Sounds like you had a year of wonderful surprises.

Fingers crossed that we see Molly on the big screen!

And, happy New Year!

Reece said...

Happy New Year, Vicki, and congratulations on the TV option! Sounds like things are going well for you, with or without resolutions.