Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine’s Day to Hilary and Lily!


By Rebecca Cantrell



Today I am cavalierly ignoring this week’s question to send out hearts and flowers to 7 Criminal Minds’ own Hilary Davidson because today is the launch of her latest novel, “The Next One to Fall.” A stunning Valentine’s Day present for a great friend and a terrific writer.

Publishers Weekly says “Davidson’s exciting follow-up to her debut, 2010’s The Damage Done... The rich history and geography of Peru add depth to an engrossing mystery that constantly keeps the reader guessing.”

And Kirkus Reviews chimes in with “Davidson’s rendering of Machu Picchu and Cusco would merit a pisco sour toast even from the great Jan Morris.”

When you launch your debut book, your friends and family take notice (as in, “I thought she was just messing around all those years she said she was writing a book, but she actually did.”) and you get reviews and it’s an round wonderful experience.

That kind of tapers off for the second book, or the third one, or the fourth, or the fifth. I’m the fourth of five children, the one that there aren’t any baby pictures of because by the time you get that far, a new tooth is not the big deal it once was. It just means you’ll be using it to bite your sister.

But I want to bring back a bit of that debut magic. It’s still a big deal. The book usually involves a year of writing and a year of waiting, which puts the book gestation period in line with an elephant’s. It’s a gargantuan task.

I’m finishing up another book myself soon (just the writing part, not the waiting one), and I’ve been thinking of rituals to celebrate when you’re done. Champagne? Chocolate? Ice cream? The lone cigarette in “Misery.” What do YOU think would be an appropriate ritual for finishing a book? What do you do? What should Hilary do?

9 comments:

Michael Wiley said...

Congratulations to Hilary on "The Next One" -- and on the great reviews. I share your thinking, Rebecca. As for a way to celebrate, why limit ourselves to just one: your whole list sounds good -- either consecutively or simultaneously.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Except for the cigarette, I am IN!

Thanks, Michael!

Meredith Cole said...

Congrats Hilary! I say celebrate with chocolate and champagne--and reward yourself by buying something cool (that's totally frivolous). It's so important to stop and pat yourself on the back (especially before your publisher asks when the next book will be finished!).

Joshua Corin said...

Congratulations, Hilary!

When I finish a book, I usually come down with a bad case of the flu. I don't imagine that this news surprises anyone.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Meredith: Agreed! I usually go the ice cream route, but I'm looking for something DRAMATIC.

Josh: Sadly, that doesn't surprise me at all. Seek the tao!

Hilary Davidson said...

Rebecca, thanks for this fabulous valentine! (And thanks to Michael, Meredith and Josh for the good wishes, too!)

I'm so excited about the launch of the new book, but I'm also struggling with a To Do list that keeps on growing. The good news: I have a bottle of champagne chilling in the fridge, so there will be *some* celebrating today. Tomorrow, I have my launch party at NYC's Mysterious Bookshop, so there's more celebrating coming up!

Reece said...

Congratulations, Hilary! Enjoy that champagne, but I'm sure there will be more celebrations to come for this book.

Vicki Delany said...

Sounds fabulous, Hilary. Can't wait to read it.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Enjoy the Champagne, Hilary! You've earned it!

And I bet it won't be the last bubbly you uncork for this one!