Thursday, February 9, 2012

I Can't Get No

When I was growing up in Chicago, the radio station WRXT mostly aired a consistent if idiosyncratic playlist, but now and then they juxtaposed genres, sounds, and styles. On those occasions, the Beatles’ “Strawberry Fields Forever” might transition into Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs” and “War Pigs” transition into a Beethoven piano sonata and the sonata transition into Miles Davis’s “On Green Dolphin Street.” They were (and are) a commercial station, but sometimes they behaved like the unruly, eclectic music fanatics they must have been before they put on their professional hats.


With the WXRT precedent behind me, I construct the following playlist or soundtrack for my life.


Chet Baker, “Let’s Get Lost”


John Coltrane, “Naima”


“Whatever Lola Wants,” Richard Adler and Jerry Ross, as performed by Ella Fitzgerald


Buddy Johnson, “Since I Fell For You”


“(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” Rolling Stones


“Blue Skies,” Willie Nelson


Celia Cruz, “Guantanamera”


Don Giovanni (Commandatore Scene), Mozart


“Dance This Mess Around,” B-52’s

9 comments:

Meredith Cole said...

I like your eclectic soundtrack, Michael! And I hope we never lose those crazy radio stations that play everything (I think they've mostly migrated to the web, though).

Reece said...

Great soundtrack, Michael! And I also remember WXRT fondly from when I was an undergrad at Northwestern.

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Fun soundtrack, Michael!

Isn't it great how that weird unruliness is such a treasure in art and music? (Not in accountants and bankers).

Michael Wiley said...

Thanks, Meredith. I always think that music tastes say a lot about a person -- as does ownership of specific dog breeds, etc., etc. I'm a little nervous about what some of my music tastes say about me.

Michael Wiley said...

Whenever I'm in Chicago (usually a couple of times a year), I still tune into WXRT -- and, amazingly, they still play much the same music they played in the 80s. By that time, they'd eliminated most of their diversity, but they still were the best station in town, I thought. Glad to have a fellow listener in you, Reece.

Michael Wiley said...

Thanks, Rebecca. And in fiction too: knowing when to break the rules seems about as important as knowing when to obey them. (But no, not in bankers or accountants.)

Gary Phillips said...

Man, that is one sweet soundtrack, Michael.

Gary Phillips said...

Man, that is one sweet soundtrack, Michael.

Michael Wiley said...

Thanks, Gary -- pretty mixed, too, like the rest of my life.