Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Where in the World Are Becky, Chris, & Hilary?


You might be wondering what I'm doing, blogging at Criminal Minds on a Tuesday. That's normally my fabulous friend Rebecca Cantrell's slot. I'm sad to report that Becky won't be blogging here on a regular basis anymore, but she has promised to come by and visit from time to time. The good news is that less blogging gives her more time to write. Have you heard about the project she's working on now? That would be the recently-announced BLOOD GOSPEL, a novel she's writing with James Rollins. I'm hoping she drops in to give us an update soon!

My former slot on Sunday is being taken over by another amazing friend of mine: Chris F. Holm. You may know him from his acclaimed short-story collection 8 POUNDS. If not, get ready to hear a lot about his debut novel, DEAD HARVEST, which is being released today by Angry Robot Books. (Congrats, Chris!) I was lucky enough to get an advance read; I find it tough to write blurbs, but it was very easy to praise Chris's work. "Chris F. Holm clearly had both angels and devils watching over him as he wrote DEAD HARVEST. Thrilling, riveting and hardboiled as hell, this stunning debut still manages to be incredibly soulful. If I could recommend one book to everyone this year, this would be it." I stand by those words. You can read an excerpt on Criminal Element. If you haven't ordered the book already, please do yourself a favor and get it now!

I've got news, too: THE NEXT ONE TO FALL came out two weeks ago, and I'm just back from my tour of the Southwest. I had the pleasure of visiting Murder by the Book in Houston, BookPeople (really MysteryPeople) in Austin, The Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, and the Velma Teague Library in Glendale, Arizona. My heartfelt thanks to the stores (and library) that hosted me, and to everyone who came out to meet me. I'm honored and grateful for the warm welcome I received. Before I left, I also had a fantastic launch party at The Mysterious Bookshop in New York City. Want to see photos from the party and the tour so far? I'll be adding to the album as I go. Next stops: Book Revue in Huntington, New York (tonight!); the Ancaster Branch of the Hamilton Public Library on March 7th; and the Canadian launch party for THE NEXT ONE TO FALL at Ben McNally Books in Toronto on March 8th. After that: Denver, LA, San Diego, San Francisco, and more.

The photo above was taken at Murder by the Book, which had just received the latest issue of Crimespree Magazine (issue #45) on the day I spoke there. I'm so very grateful for Ruth Jordan and Jen Forbus's interview with me, and for Jon Jordan's very kind editorial. Most of all, I'm grateful for all of the support I've received. It's exhilarating and humbling at the same time.

If you want to see what else I've been up to lately, you'll find that here. Now, the Carmen Sandiego portion of today's program. Check out this photo. The clues are below!

1. This photograph might give you the impression you're standing in a remote location, but you're actually in a large city... the eastern edge of a large city.

2. The limestone cliffs reminded early settlers of the white cliffs of England's Yorkshire coast. The original town was named for a Yorkshire town. That town had since become part of a large metropolis, but this district is still commonly referred to by its original English name.

3. This is a very popular location for filming television and movie scenes. On film, it's been depicted as a remote island and as a village in India, among other places.

4. The area is of at least as much interest to scientists as it is to filmmakers. There is a current, ongoing controversy about measuring wind speed in the area. Local residents are not happy about that at all.

5. Did I mention residents? You can't see them in the photo, but there are houses at the top of the cliffs. Not giant mansions for megalomaniacs who want to pretend they're on a desert island... just nice family homes with an extraordinary view.

6. The water you see in the photo is fresh water, not salt.

Looking forward to hearing your best guesses!

11 comments:

Michael Wiley said...

Great to have you blogging on Tuesdays now, Hilary! Becky has big shoes to fill, but I've always thought of you as having big feet. Great too that Chris will be joining us.

As for the cities, in spite of your great clues I'm clueless: Halifax, Australia? Richmond, Virginia? Yorkshire/Cliffs/Fresh water -- Yikes!

James Harlan Harris said...

Hilary, thanks for your fun blog-posts. Looking forward to reading more of them and those from Chris and the rest of the Criminal Minds gang.

It looks like you are in Scarborough, Toronto, Canada. Thanks for the geography lesson!

Hilary Davidson said...

James, you got it! For anyone else tuning in, this is Scarborough, which is now part of Toronto. The cliffs are called the Scarborough Bluffs. Toronto is my hometown, and I figured this puzzle might be easy for anyone who knows the city, but tough for everyone else. Toronto is better known for its dramatic skyline and especially for the CN Tower, but I'd love to see the Scarborough Bluffs get more attention!

Also, thanks to both Michael and James for the warm welcome. I'm going to miss Becky (and I do intend to lure her back to guest-post), but I hope I'll be able to fill those shoes you mention, Michael!

Rebecca Cantrell said...

Michael, did you just tell Hilary she has big feet? I can see why you had trouble writing the seduction stuff last week!

Hilary, who is always impeccably dressed and has excellent shoes and feet, thanks for the shout out! I can't think of anyone I'd rather leave Tuesdays with!

Chris said...

Thanks, all, for the kind welcome! Of course, I've got some sleek but nonetheless intimidating shoes of my own to fill, stepping into Hilary's Sunday spot.

Aaannnnddd now I need mind-bleach to scrub clean the image of me stumbling coltishly around in Hilary's high heels. This is why I shouldn't be allowed to post things on the internet whilst drinking.

Kathleen A. Ryan said...

Welcome to Tuesdays, Hilary ~ and welcome back from your Southwest tour. I enjoyed attending your book signing event at Book Revue tonight. THE NEXT ONE TO FALL looks & sounds amazing. Congratulations on another job well done :-)
Best wishes to Becky as she works on her novel with James.
Welcome, Chris, to Sundays ~ and a big Congrats to you as well on the debut of DEAD HARVEST. I'll be sure to get my copy ASAP.

Michael Wiley said...

Now, now, when I was in seventh grade I was 5' 2" but had size ten shoes (this is true) -- a Bozo the Clown with acne. Ever since then, I've been sensitive about feetist elitists. I LIKE big feet.

Hilary Davidson said...

I'm not sure which of you made me laugh the hardest: Becky calling Michael out for his "big feet" comment, Chris for the image of him "stumbling coltishly around in Hilary's high heels," or Michael on "feetist elitists." This may well be the best comments thread EVER!

Hilary Davidson said...

Also, a big thank-you to Kathy for her good wishes. Kathy, it was wonderful to see you at Book Revue on Long Island! Thanks again for coming out to the event... and for your kind words here.

utenzi said...

I've been to Toronto a number of times but I wasn't able to solve the puzzle on my own. Great picture of those cliffs!

standford said...

Hi Jeremy (the guy that rocks from What’s operating Now!),

Thanks for visiting here and leaving a comment. come soon.

ink analysis