Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Goosed Proust

by Joshua

Oooh, a questionnaire! I do love me some questionnairing. Sometimes I go to the mall just so I can track down the clipboard people and answer their surveys.

What can I say? I'm a giver.

Anywho, here are my answers:

1. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Hmm. Toughie. I remember learning in elementary school that it was the Mariana Trench, but then in college I watched Shoah. So I guess I will compromise and answer that the lowest depth of misery would have to be a 10-hour film about the Mariana Trench.

2. Where would you like to live? I love this question, if only because I do in fact like to live. Ah, but location, location, location. Let's see. I have lived in Warwick, Rhode Island; Binghamton, New York; Brooklyn, New York; and Atlanta, Georgia. I have not lived in Calcutta, India, but I learned yesterday that there hasn't been a Calcutta, India, since 2001 so there goes that idea. I guess my answer would have to be that I'd like to live close to my family and friends. Ideally, this location will also have a good bookstore and a comfortable mattress.

3. What is your idea of earthly happiness? I'd say the planet seems pretty content at springtime. Then again, springtime in the Northern Hemisphere is autumn in the Southern Hemisphere. No wonder the Earth is bi-polar.

4. To what faults do you feel most indulgent? My own. Next question.

5. Who are your favorite heroes of fiction? Hamlet, Candide, Ishmael, and The Giving Tree.

6. Who are your favorite characters in history? Oh, Proust, did you know I first entered college as a history major? You're so perceptive. My favorite characters in history would have to be Michel de Montaigne, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Dr. Sam Beckett.

7. Who are your favorite heroines in real life? My mother and sister, my female friends, and Connie Chung.

8. Who are your favorite heroines of fiction? Lysistrata, Rosalind, and Annie Hall.

9. Your favorite painter? A toss-up between Georges Seurat and Francis Bacon. Actually, I would love to see that grudge match. In Claymation, of course.

10. Your favorite musician? As in performer? Bruce Springsteen. As in composer? Tchaikovsky. As in band? The Beatles. As in member of the Beatles? Ringo. Yeah, that's right, I like Ringo. At parties, I'm that guy.

11. The quality you most admire in a man? Intellectual curiosity.

12. The quality you most admire in a woman? Intellectual curiosity.

13. Your favorite virtue? Intellectual curiosity.

14. Your favorite occupation? Answering questionnaires.

15. Who would you have liked to be? Oprah.

8 comments:

lil Gluckstern said...

And I like the spirit with which you answered these questions :)

Joshua Corin said...

Thank you, Lil Gluckstern!

Jen M. said...

I've got my money on Francis Bacon in that grudge match. I've also got new insight into what it would be like to try and fall asleep at night if one half of my favorite painter were Francis Bacon.

Joshua Corin said...

I also really enjoy the artwork of Otto Dix and George Grosz.....hmmm, I think I see your point.

Reece said...

Wouldn't we all, deep down, really like to be Oprah? I think we should all strive every day to achieve a higher level of Oprah-consciousness (or maybe it's Oprahsity). Nice post, Josh!

Joshua Corin said...

Thanks, Reece!

Gabi said...

You are that guy and we wouldn't have it any other way.

If only half of your favorite painter is Bacon, are we spitting him down the middle so he still has one hand available or has he become Christy Brown?

Gabi said...

Reece,
Oprahsity??? I'm adding it to my spell check word list.