Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Proust Questionnaire - Angus MacGillivray Age 13 (almost)


Vicki here, and you want me to remember when I was 13? I can barely remember what I was thinking last week. Instead I've decided to hand this questionnaire over to Angus MacGillivray, son of Fiona MacGillivray, of my Klondike Gold Rush series. Angus is 12 years old in the books. And that's almost thirteen, isn't it.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

When my mother tells me to go home because I’m not old enough to stay in the Savoy to watch the girls dance the can can.

Where would you like to live?

Right here, Dawson City, Yukon Territory.

What is your idea of earthly happiness?

Assisting Corporal Richard Sterling and the NWMP in tracking down a bad guy!

To what faults do you feel most indulgent?

When my mother treats me as a child. She is a mother, after all. And she’s just a woman, so you can’t expect too much.

Who are your favorite heroes of fiction?

Horace Holly and Leo Vincey in She by Rider Haggard. What a tale of adventure and heroism! I also really really liked The Man Who Would Be King by Rudyard Kipling. Actually, I shouldn’t tell you this, but those stories are almost like my real-life adventure to rescue my mother when she was captured by that devil Paul Sheridan and dragged off into the Yukon wilderness. The place we found! Well, I’m not allowed to tell you about that. I might write it down someday. I could call the book Gold Mountain.

Who are your favorite characters in history?

General Gordon, the hero of Khartoum. Admiral Nelson, of course. So many great British heroes to choose from. Although my Scottish mother wouldn’t like to hear me say that. She insists that the only true heroes were the highlanders at Culloden on the side of the Bonnie Prince.

Who are your favorite heroines in real life?

Uh.. Gee, I don’t know. Queen Victoria, I guess. Women don’t do much that’s important, you know.

Who are your favorite heroines of fiction?

I can’t think of any.


Your favorite painter?

Painter?


Your favorite musician?

I guess the guy who plays the piano at the Savoy Saloon and Dance Hall is pretty good.

The quality you most admire in a man?

Loyalty to Queen and Country!


The quality you most admire in a woman?

Beauty (like my mother).


Your favorite virtue?

Manly heroism! Nothing is more important than standing tall in the face of unimaginable danger.

Your favorite occupation?

An officer in the North-West Mounted Police. That’s my goal. Although my mother, I fear, wants me to become a gentleman. She thinks she’s very modern, but can be a bit behind the times. Not much call for gentlemen out here in the Yukon Territory at the turn of the century.

Who would you have liked to be?

One of the men who came west on the Great March West of the NWMP in 1873. Opening up a whole new country! What adventures they must have had. Not much new land left to explore anymore here in 1898. Although there is that place I’m not supposed to tell you about.

----------
You can read about Angus and Fiona's adventures in Gold Digger and Gold Fever, from Dundurn Press. The third book in the series, Gold Mountain, will be released in April.

3 comments:

lil Gluckstern said...

Charming-I need to get to know him better:)

Vicki Delany said...

Thanks, Lil. It's great fun trying to write a 12 year old boy when you are not a boy. And most certainly not 12 years old.

NancyMyers101 said...

http://milwaukeebedbreakfast.com/milwaukee-murder-mystery.htm

The "DEATH SPEAKS OUT" Mystery Dinner Play is in Milwaukee for 7 fun performances!
Enjoy sandwiches, meatballs, pizza, beer & wine in an intimate victorian theater!