Saturday, March 24, 2012

That Dang Proust


by Gary

So I too had to look up the origin of this Proust Questionnaire business. Interesting. Well, here's my answers as best as I can conjure up what I was like way back then....and yes, these are pretty much the answers I'd give at my age now.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Getting drafted for Vietnam when I graduate (I was 13 as a freshman in 1969).

Where would you like to live?
The New York City in Marvel Comics.

What is your idea of earthly happiness?
Cheerleaders crazy for me.

To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
Over-confidence.

Who are your favorite characters in history?
Frederick Douglass, Grandpa John Phillips, a cowboy.

Who are your favorite heroines of fiction?
The Black Widow (see Marvel Comics), Modesty Blaise and Mrs. Peel.

Your favorite painter?
James Bama – he did the covers for the Doc Savage pulp reprints for the Bantam paperbacks.

Your favorite musician?
Sly and the Family Stone – technically this is a band.

The quality you most admire in a man?
Manliness.

The quality you most admire in a woman?
Manliness.

Your favorite virtue?
Sacrifice.

Your favorite occupation?
Writing and drawing my own comics.

Who would you most like to be?
My dad, compassionate, can fix any machine, and Namor, the Sub-Mariner, who doesn’t take no stuff from anyone, super-strength and somehow flies with little wings on his ankles.

2 comments:

Michael Wiley said...

A great set of answers, Gary.

Gary Phillips said...

Thanks, Michael.