Monday, March 5, 2012

Who's Got Your Back, Baby?

I’ve been told I trust too easily. I’ve also been told I have trust issues. And sometimes I hear both of these statements in the same week. Truth be told, some days I barely trust myself. But enough about me, or I’ll have to sprawl on your couch and pay you by the hour.
No matter what my personal take on trust, when I started writing my novels I knew faith in others would have to be important to my main characters. As amateur sleuths, in addition to their own guts, they would have to trust at least one individual or several to get to the bottom of the mysteries in each book. These trusted folks have the protagonists' backs. They fill in the gaps, help with information, and worry about them as they go headfirst into danger.
After seven books, Odelia Grey has a vast support system of trust-worthy friends starting with her husband Greg.  Along with him are:
Zee and Seth Washington
Detective Dev Frye
Half-brother Clark Littlejohn
Felon-on-the-run Willie Proctor
Attorney Michael Steele, even though Odelia often claims she doesn’t trust him.

For Emma Whitecastle in my Ghost of Granny Apples series, the following folks compose her bedrock of trust:
Recently released
3rd Granny Apples novel

Her parents and her daughter
Boyfriend Phil Bowers
Her best friend Tracy Bass
Mentor Milo Ravenscroft
Even the ghostly Granny Apples.

What’s fun about these supporting cast members is how much they contribute to the books overall. It’s almost not fair to call them secondary characters. They have fans of their own amongst my readers, and I’m sure if I ever turned them to the dark side, I’d get ugly mail.

So while Odelia and Emma have their trust banks, I trust my characters ... and my readers.

2 comments:

lil Gluckstern said...

I trust your writings to give me pleasure, how's that? :)

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Thanks, Lil!