Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Characters  Wanted

Isn't that the catch phrase of one of the cable networks?  If it isn't it should be.  I'm about to sound like an old guy but it seems to me TV used to have characters on it.   Seriously, I basically miss all the old characters. Once upon a time you had to act - or at least pretend to act - or sleep with the director  - to get on TV. Now you just have to act like a freak who missed their meds three of the last four days.  When did people screaming at each other become entertainment?

Cue up the band.

Boy the way Glen Miller Played...

I'm serious - the likes of Archie Bunker, George Jefferson, J.R. Ewing, Gopher... No I'm serious has there ever been another character on TV named after a small ground dwelling rodent.   What?  Oh yeah, I forgot about the Beaver.  Man what's with naming people after rodents?

Songs that made the Hit Parade...

Seriously - we don't even have Dick Clark anymore.   If you don't have Dick Clark you can't have any Hit Parade.  How can you have any Hit Parade if you don't have Dick Clark?    What's that you say?  Oh, right we have Ryan Seacrest.  Good point.

Warning - the author may have hit his head before writing this blog.

Guys like us, we had it made...

Wait a minute - I just this channel called Nick at Nite - it seems to have re-runs of Dallas and The Dukes of Hazard and The Rockford Files and even What's Happening?  A re-run of Rerun - can anything really top that?

You know what? This is awesome - now I don't have to mourn any characters - they can live forever, either on their own reality show or as I remember them in beautiful technicolor and 80's style, except...  Hmm.. how do eight adults and a bunch of Kids live in Southfork Ranch in what appears to be a three bedroom house.  And to be honest - these guys are oil billionaires but I have a better pool than that and I rent.  And how come I'm thinking a cool Love Boat episode would have involved them getting torpedoed and swimming to safety on Jurassic Park Island?  Well...at least the General Lee still travels as the crow flies but I don't know - them pants are awfully tight - and I'm not talking about Daisy Duke's shorts. 

Oh well - Boss still cracks me up.

Those were the days...




No comments: