Monday, June 25, 2012

Just Call Me Huff 'n Puff

Several years ago, I was asked in an interview to describe myself in six words. I don’t know where my response came from, but I do remember not thinking about it more than a nano-second.  My response:  THE FAT LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD.
All my life, people have laughed when I said I wanted to be a novelist.  And why not? I’d wanted to pursue that path all my life and talked about it - a lot - but talk is cheap, and even though I made several feeble attempts over the years, it wasn’t until I was in my mid-forties that I put my butt in front of a keyboard armed with one of the most serious words in the world:  Commitment.
And I did it.
I chugged up that hill, word by painful word, until my first novel was finally done. And even though that book snagged me my first agent and short listed me with a few publishers, it’s still sitting in a drawer. But did the little engine give up? No. I kept going and am happy and proud to say that in September Midnight Ink will release my 12th published novel, Hide and Snoop. And between Midnight Ink and Berkley, I have contracts for seven more books waiting to be fulfilled.
But The Fat Little Engine Wasn't Satisfied. In my mid-fifties, when I said I was going to enter the Camp Pendleton Mud Run, people eyed my considerable bulk, rolled their eyes and laughed. Well, I entered and completed the course in the official time.
Now, as I stand on the precipice of sixty, I’m tackling another long-time dream.  This time calling on THE FAT LITTLE ENGINE THAT DID to do it again. That dream I’ll talk about another time since the engine is still in the station, working up a head of steam to tackle the next hill.
I know I can. I know I can. I know I can...

7 comments:

NoraA said...

We know you will, we know you will.

If the mind can dream it, the body will somehow find a way to do it.

Meredith Cole said...

You're very inspiring, Sue Ann! I love your attitude. And congrats on finishing your 12th book!

Mark said...

I can't wait to hear what this new dream/goal is. And anyone who doubts you will do it at their own risk. I'll certainly be cheering you on.

Dru said...

You are an inspiration to all because you never gave up on your dreams.

Vicki Delany said...

Nicely said. I love it. Good for you, Sue Ann

gregkshipman said...

You are one of those classically classy examples of ‘Mission: Possible’. I’ve always admired those who can, but even more so— those who do!

Clearly you are an In-Stir-A-Tion

As Spock would say… Live Long and Prosper

Alan Orloff said...

I'm intrigued by your new goal. Whatever it is, I'm sure you'll achieve it in your usual, never-say-can't style! Go Sue Ann!